"Answer file" crashes in windows xp

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

visanz

"Answer file" crashes in windows xp

Post by visanz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:18 pm

I am using Livecode Community 8.1.7 and I have made a standalone program to generate a text string to run an executable in console. This program must run on Linux, Windows XP and Windows Vista. I have made a standalone application for Windows and another for Linux. Both run well in Linux and Windows Vista and 10 in all aspects and functionality.
The case is that in Windows XP it starts correctly but when I click on a button to select a file (that works correctly in others OS) it crashes and a window alert me about "[myNameProgram] for windows has detected a problem and needs to shut down".
I used:
local tArchivo
answer file "Select file"
put it into tArchivo
if there is a file tArchivo then
put tArchivo into field "field1"
end if

I also used:
answer file "Select file"
put it into field "field1"

I also tried changing in the main stack:

on startup pMode
set the systemFileSelector to false
end startup

and...
on startup pMode
set the systemFileSelector to true
end startup

And several changes not to reasonables but in my desperation I tried everything I could imagine.
In Windows XP "answer folder" runs perfectly. I have tried in XP Home and Professional edition and always I get the crash....
Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance...

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: "Answer file" crashes in windows xp

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:15 pm

In a good scripting language it should not be possible to crash anything. Script errors may happen, but a crash is the engine's job to prevent.

I stopped using XP after Microsoft EOL'd it, so I'm unable to confirm the recipe. But if your recipe is consistent and your system reasonably stock this may merit a bug report.

Surprisingly, the Release Notes for LC v8.1.7 still list XP as a supported platform, so you should be able to file a bug report on that and hopefully the team will be able to address it quickly:
http://quality.livecode.com/
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:18 am

I don't run XP except for testing in a vm. I found this intriguing enough to go ahead and test it myself, and it certainly looks like a bug to me. I used the same answer code in both 6.5.2 and 8.1.6 which is apparently also having this issue.

Code: Select all

on mouseUp
   answer file "Select a file to open" with type "Stack Files|mc,rev,livecode,Livecode"
end mouseUp
After making the standalone in both, I moved them to the winXp vm I use for testing. The 6.5.2 vers. had no issue, as you might expect. This is what was seen with the 8.1.6 standalone -
Lc816AnswerFileCrash.png
While this test is hardly conclusive, and I don't at the moment have an actual "XP" box up and running, it certainly does seem to be worth filing a bug report and having it looked into.

Just for completness, I'm adding the report XP generated (minus the matching file name baloney which were mainly other programming environment files, and the epson printer driver).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<DATABASE>
<EXE NAME="fldrsFilesLc816.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">
</EXE>
<EXE NAME="kernel32.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
    <MATCHING_FILE NAME="kernel32.dll" SIZE="993280" CHECKSUM="0x599F4100" BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.6532" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.6532" PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.6532" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Windows NT BASE API Client DLL" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft® Windows® Operating System" FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.6532 (xpsp_sp3_qfe.140312-0419)" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="kernel32" INTERNAL_NAME="kernel32" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0xF63D5" LINKER_VERSION="0x50001" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.6532" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.6532" LINK_DATE="03/12/2014 10:48:50" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/12/2014 10:48:50" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
</EXE>
</DATABASE>
Hopefully that will help out a bit.

*Edit - I should also note that I did not set the systemFileSelector property to false as part of this test.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:48 am

Good sleuthing, Bogs. Thanks for that. I'd guess what happened was the newer APIs they've been adopting has caused them to overlook some deprecated API unique to the much older XP. Given that it's been three years since patches for that OS were released by anyone other than organized crime rings, it may be time to let support for it go soon.

But for now it's listed as supported, so hopefully the OP will post the bug report so we can see if they'll be able to fork that bit of code for XP's sake.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:33 pm

Yah, I hope he does, while I can read reports, apparently I can't post one or comment in them heh heh. I have no idea what password they are looking for, I tried both my login to the home planet and this forum with no go.

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:01 pm

bogs wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:33 pm
Yah, I hope he does, while I can read reports, apparently I can't post one or comment in them heh heh. I have no idea what password they are looking for, I tried both my login to the home planet and this forum with no go.
It requires its own account, you'll need to open one.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:53 am

Well, that is good to know too. Not that I'm likely to find too many bugs that aren't well known or incredibly old :D

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi,

(Edit: Filed as Bug 20737)

can reproduce this problem. Made a small stack (attached), with only a few lines of code in a single button:

on mouseUp
   answer file "Please point me to a file:" titled "File Select"
   if it is empty then exit mouseUp
   put it into myFile
   put len(it) into myLen
   open file myFile for read
   read from file myFile for 20
   close file myFile
   answer information "The file contains stuff like that:" & CR & \
         "(Path length: " & myLen & " Chars)" & CR & CR & it titled "The resultz"
end mouseUp
Compiled StandAlones with both LC 6.7.10 ("latest stable") and 8.1.8 ("latest public beta"). Default settings.

On Win10-64 pro, both versions are working. Only, 8.1.8 skips some chars in the result, and doesn't display "OK" in the "OK" button. Well, public beta ...
result_W10.png
test result
On Win Server 2003 R2 (= XP) the 8.1.8 version commits suicide before showing the file selector dialogue. (at 0x00201a44) 6.7.10 works as expected.

Hope I could help! Have fun!
Attachments
awa_FileSelTester.zip
test stack
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:43 pm

AxWald wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:15 pm
...the 8.1.8 version commits suicide ...
I sure wish I could turn a phrase like that oneImage

Return to “Windows”