Associating additional Documents types for a Standalone

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

paul@researchware.com
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Associating additional Documents types for a Standalone

Post by paul@researchware.com » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:54 pm

So in LiveCode's Staandalone builder, we can specify an icon for the application and a file extension and icon for a single document.

How do we add more icons and associated file extensions to a standalone under OSX and Windows.

For OSX, after you build the standalone, you can open the app bundle and edit the info.plist file to add additional <dict>...</dict> entries for any additional document types and include the associated icns file(s) in the Resource folder of the Contents folder of the app bundle.

While a manual task, this is pretty easy to add however many additional file extensions and associated icons that your app needs under OSX.

For Windows, I have seemed to run into problems. I have a tool, Resourceeditor.exe (http://melander.dk/reseditor) that lets me open the standalone EXE file (after building it) and add additional icons. I can see the icons added by the Standalone Builder for the app and 1st document which have IDs of 111 and 112 respectively. I can add
additional icons and set their IDs to 113, 114, etc.
I know I need to use setRegistry to set values in the registry when the application first starts up. I check to see if the registry entries are already present and if not, I use setRegistry to add them. The model I used previously, take from this Microsoft article (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx) does not seem to be working under Win8 and 10 for additional icons. I have to reference the icons in the standalone by INDEX number, which I
though was 0,1,2, etc, but I have tried both the IDs and index number for new documents without success.

Does anyone have a sample stack or code or a blog post that covered how to do this properly for all versions of Windows?

Perhaps someone at the LiveCode mothership did a authoritative tech note or blog post on this at some point I just can't find a link to?
Paul Dupuis
Researchware, Inc.

paul@researchware.com

Re: Associating additional Documents types for a Standalone

Post by paul@researchware.com » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Hmm, 38 people (well I guess 37 no counting myself) have views this post with no replies. Does no one know how to do this? Or is everyone who does know busy building awesome Windows standalones with multiple documents types?
Paul Dupuis
Researchware, Inc.

Return to “Windows”