Digital certificates

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jalz
Livecode Opensource Backer

Digital certificates

Post by jalz » Thu May 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Hey all

I'm testing builds of my application on the Windows platform. First thing I noticed was a security prompt when launching the built app is a security warning. After doing some reading I've figured out my app has to be digitally signed.

There are so many certificates/options out there, does anyone have any particular recommendations that are fairly easy to implement and not too pricey to buy. If I buy a years certificate, will my built apps start producing a security warning once the certificate expires?

Thanks
Jalz

ClipArtGuy

Re: Digital certificates

Post by ClipArtGuy » Sat May 20, 2017 2:11 am

I am also interested in this topic, so I'll give it a bump. I'd love for my LiveCode created .exe files to not give such a dire sounding security warning when users try to run them......

tomBTG

Re: Digital certificates

Post by tomBTG » Sat May 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi Jalz.

This company sells Comodo certificates at a discount and they provide tools and support:
http://codesigning.ksoftware.net/

>>If I buy a years certificate, will my built apps start producing a security warning once the certificate expires?
Once you sign an app with a valid cert, that app will stay signed and valid. But you must resign every update or new version you release. And you must sign the standalone exe, any externals and your installer. (See the KSoftware tool for help with that.)

This FAQ should answer a lot of your questions: http://certhelp.ksoftware.net/support/home

(I don't have any connection with that business, except that I've been a customer for about eight years.)

Best,
Tom B.

Return to “Windows”