Windows 10 program icons and document icons

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Martin Koob
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Windows 10 program icons and document icons

Post by Martin Koob » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi.

First time doing a windows App so I have a couple of probably easy questions. I just can't find the answer in the forums or in the LiveCode help documents.

I need a program icon and document icon for an application to run on Windows 10. But it may run on Windows 7 as well. Do they need to be in the same format so I only create 1 icon set or do I need two? What formats would that be, .ico? And Finally how to you include them in a LiveCode standalone?

I did find information on formats for Windows 10 and Windows 10 icons

Windows 10
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... app-assets

Windows 7
https://www.creativefreedom.co.uk/icon- ... con-sizes/

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thanks.

Martin Koob

AxWald

Re: Windows 10 program icons and document icons

Post by AxWald » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi,

I just scale a pict (in XnView, to slightly above 100 x100 px/ 32bit) & save it as ".ico".
When setting up the options for the StandAlone I enter the .ico there - done.

Works backwards until XP at least.

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:57 pm

I don't yet know if Win10 is as finicky as Win7, but you will want to make sure your .ico file contains all required sizes. I've seen cases where making an alias of an app, such as we see in the Start menu, rely on a specific size within the .ico, and if absent rather than scaling from the nearest match it just displays a generic app icon. Ugh. Not sure why they do that, but apparently they do, and as long as your .ico includes all required sizes you should be fine.

If you find special requirements for Win10 that are not backwardly compatible with the requirements for Win7, please note them here. Thanks.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi Richard,

I never had any problems with Win Icons, and I don't even know how & in what sizes the pictures end in the .ico file ;-)

Usually I throw 'em together as a large picture in MS Expression Design (comes for free), and export as PNG.
This I scale & save as .ico in XnView, my universal viewer/converter, now it's somewhat above 100x100 px @ 32bit. Filesize ~ 50kB.

Works in XP, 7, 10, Server 2003 R2. In Explorer, Desktop, Start Menu, task bar, as alias, wherever, everywhere.
(Have to mention I'm a coder & no "designer", so I don't do this too often ...)

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:55 pm

Does the right icon show when displayed using an alias in the Start menu? If the alias works there I wonder if the app you're using is creating the required sizes for you.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Windows”