Unable to open .liveCode files

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

lewis

Unable to open .liveCode files

Post by lewis » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:35 pm

I am no longer able to open my .livecode files.
Have a problem with Windows 10 (64 bit) and LiveCode Community for Windows 8.1.2 . Windows hung while I was in the process of editing the script; a complete freeze requiring use of the restart button as task manager was not able to be run. Since the restart Win 10 has refused to open any .liveCode files. A momentarily appearing window indicates as best as I can make out that it can not associate these files with the application. I used Windows Control Panel 'Associate a file type or protocol with a program' but this did not work either. So I uninstalled LiveCode 8.1.2. and attempted to reinstall it only for Windows to inform me it was not a compatible application with Win 10. So I then installed LiveCode 8.1.3 which was allowed but with the same result - will not open any .liveCode files (with the same momentarily appearing window) and using the control panel 'Associate a file type or protocol with a program' made no difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Klaus

Re: Unable to open .liveCode files

Post by Klaus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi Lewis,

are talking about a doubleclick on a LC file on the desktop
or using the "Open stack..." menuitem in the "File" menu of LC?

Best

Klaus

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:30 pm

Livecode is not yet 64-bit compatible, you'll need to run it in compatibility mode.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

lewis

Post by lewis » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:22 am

Hmmm - I need to make my problem(s) clearer.
After some tinkering I believe I successfully achieved associating .liveCode files with the application. But problems persisted. So I started afresh.
I uninstalled LiveCode Community 8.1.3 (that was the only version installed at this stage). I downloaded a new version of LiveCode Community v. 8.1.2 and installed it. (That had been the version I was running prior to all this.) The resulting problems are as follows.
1. a. Opening the program (via the windows start menu or the shortcut placed on the desktop by the installation program) results in the splash screen for LiveCode 8.1 Start interactive tour opening and then immediately closing. Also the small window I referred to in my previous post does the same. Checking with task manager after that confirms that the program is not running.
1. b. Opening the program by double clicking an existing .liveCode file results in the that stack window being displayed and then immediately closing. And again the small window I referred to in my previous post does the same. And as above the task manager confirms program not running.
2. Examining the properties of the 'LiveCode Community.exe' file the Windows program compatibility trouble shooter reports it as incompatible
See image
error-2.PNG
However Microsoft advises that WoW64 (Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit) is a subsystem of the Windows operating system capable of running 32-bit applications that is included in all 64-bit versions of Windows.
I am confused/disappointed/frustrated and just want to get back to working on my LiveCode coding. Oh well - can you help Klaus or jacque or anyone?

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi,

Win 10-64bit pro here, and any LC is running out-of-the box. Since a long time. No compatibility settings required for 6.5, 6.7.10, 8.1.2 and 9.0 (dp4) - these I have available atm., on 2 machines. The Windows is up to date, i.e. any updates are installed.

I guess your preferences file is corrupt, that's an old LC problem. It's found in:
./Users/YourName/AppData/Roaming/RunRev/preferences
(AppData may be invisible, you may have to set the checkmark in folder options)

Maybe some other files got corrupted while crashing, for a full cleanUp look at:
./Users/YourName/AppData/Local/
Here are the folders "._LiveCode_" and "RunRev". In "RunRev" are your crash logs, btw. ;-)
Next search in:
./Users/YourName/AppData/Roaming/
Here is a folder "RunRev" that contains (beside the license) before mentioned preferences, as "livecode.rev" or "livecode7.rev" (for the newer versions). Always a good idea to just rename these in case of trouble, they are reknown to cause such. Finally:
./Users/YourName/Documents/
"My LiveCode". Here are your plugIns. A corrupted plugIn can cause havoc, too.

Renaming/ deleting these folders, and re-installing LC should help.

Hope I could help, have fun!

PS: Re-adjusting lost associations in Win 10 is quickly done just finding /creating a file with the desired suffix, R-Clicking it, choosing "Open with/ Choose other app", and setting the checkmark for "always use this app".
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

lewis

Post by lewis » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:40 am

Thank you all for such quick responses.
Especial thanks to AxWald for giving me the simple solution.
I followed your advice AxWald and am now up and running with no problems.
It's easy when you know how ain't it.
Now back to he fun of coding.

Return to “Windows”