Stuck with Touch Keyboard on Win10 on Surface 3

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bertBUSIbr8

Stuck with Touch Keyboard on Win10 on Surface 3

Post by bertBUSIbr8 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:33 am

Hi,

Got totally stuck here...

I'm building a kiosk app to run on Win 10 on a Surface 3.

Got most of it running all good but the Touch Keyboard does not come up on screen automatically when you touch into a field. I've tried the tricks of focussing on it or an invisible button etc. No avail. There's also no difference in putting the Surface into tablet mode or nor.

I did found - on this forum I think - how to open the "On Screen Keyboard" (osk.exe) and that works, however it's not the keyboard I want as you can move it around. That made me think and I figured out that the Touch keyboard can be launched with a shell command and opening "TabTip.exe".

Works great, Touch Keyboard comes up.

Now, of course it also needs to disappear again when you leave the card it was needed. So I though, I just kill the process with "taskkill" and a shell command but hit access denied.

Turns out that the service for the keyboard is running under the Svchost.exe task (the TabTip.exe and tabTip32.exe run under that one as well) is called "TabletInputService".

When I stop that service from the taskmanager, the keyboard disappears fine so great. However when I try to do it from the command line I get again access denied even though my account is Admin. When I run it from the Administrator command line however [the one where the prompt says >System32] I can do it.

Now maybe I'm totally overdoing it with all this and if there's a simpler way I would love to hear it!!

At the moment I'm looking for a way to stop a running service via the shell command but run with higher privileges than my regular account has.

Love to hear some ideas!

bert

bertBUSIbr8

Re: Stuck with Touch Keyboard on Win10 on Surface 3

Post by bertBUSIbr8 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:05 pm

As a quick follow up.

Enabling the hidden Administrator account and logging in as such allows me to run the shell command [sc stop "tabletInputService"] I need for disabling the Touch keyboard service again.

Not ideal but until I find something better and it's running in kiosk mode.

We struggle on!

Bert

viro

Re: Stuck with Touch Keyboard on Win10 on Surface 3

Post by viro » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:55 am

Hey there,
I ran into the same problem like you a year ago..
Did create own virtual keyboard then and it does what it supposed to do :)
http://forums.livecode.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 25#p136451
Best regards
viro
the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it

Return to “Windows”