Way to tell Rev environment to reload externals?

Are you developing an External using the LiveCode Externals SDK?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jimwitte

Way to tell Rev environment to reload externals?

Post by jimwitte » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:35 am

Can you tell the Rev environment to *reload* the externals in My LiveCode/Externals and the Runtime/ directories? This would allow me (I assume) to make the xCode project that builds an external automatically put it into the External directory, and then tell the Rev engine to reload it, without quitting the engine OR having to reload a standalone. I can set 'the externals', which appears to work in the preOpenStack script when creating the wrapper and starting with it - but it doesn't reload the externals once the stack is opened, nor does closing and removing it from memory and then reopening it, nor does sending preOpenStack directly to Revolution. I'm guessing that there's something simple I'm missing about how Rev handles multiple stacks - as my "training" as it were came from Hypercard which never had the concept of substacks.

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Way to tell Rev environment to reload externals?

Post by mwieder » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:09 pm

You're loading a test stack for the externals, not trying to add an external library to the IDE, right?

In that case, if you've set the externals of the test stack to point to your library you don't need to change anything. When XCode launches your test stack it will already be linked properly. You don't need to set the externals in the preOpenStack handler, just load the test stack from the IDE, set the externals from the messagebox and save the stack.

It *is* possible to do it on the fly by a couple of means, if you really need to. One is from a script to set the externals, save the stack, and then revert the stack. The revert command will load the most-recently-saved version of the stack from the hard disk, with the externals all set for you. But unless I'm misunderstanding your situation you shouldn't need to do this.

Return to “Building Externals”