external to handle 3rd party ad networks...

Are you developing tools to extend the LiveCode environment? This is the place to talk about the nuts and bolts of extending our nuts and bolts. If you want to use a LiveCode or third party Environment extension, visit the Using Evironment Extensions forum.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

tjo7777

external to handle 3rd party ad networks...

Post by tjo7777 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:03 pm

I was interested in trying to monetise my app with mobile ads. Officially the only ad network supported is something called Inner-active, but I want to use different networks.

I emailed support to enquire about this and received a reply stating that "It may or may not be possible to get other ad networks running, you might have to write an external to do so."

Just wondering if anyone has attempted this before, and how difficult it would be. I was not sure from the wording of the email if they were saying "It may or may not be possible, period" or "It may not be possible with standard LiveCode, but it is possible with an external".

Excuse my ignorance, I am new to LiveCode and so far I have not had the need to use an external, so I know very little about this topic.

Thanks for any and all advice,

TJ.

sefrojones
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: external to handle 3rd party ad networks...

Post by sefrojones » Sat May 10, 2014 8:27 pm

I've successfully used http://vserve.mobi/ and their "appwrapper" to put full screen advertisements into an app.

tjo7777

Post by tjo7777 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:04 am

Thanks for your reply sefrojonesGAda40.

Did you find it easy to use their "appwrapper" with your LiveCode app? Were you happy with the result?

Thanks again for any info you can provide.

TJ.

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Mon May 12, 2014 2:03 am

I found it really easy to use. I actually put 2 ads from Vserv and 2 from inneractive into the same application, and so far Vserv has been paying about double inneractive with the same amount of views. You should download it and give it a try. It has a bunch of options other than the simple one that I used.

tjo7777

Post by tjo7777 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Thanks for the info sefrojonesGAda40!

Not to turn this into a thread about mobile ad networks, but, when doing some Google searches about inneractive I saw some people who complained about inneractive taking a long time to pay them and not responding to emails.

How has your experience with inneractive been? Have you received any payments from them?

Thanks again,

TJ.

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Mon May 12, 2014 5:52 pm

Well, My app has >200 downloads, so my ad revenue thus far hasn't been worth trying to cash out. Mainly the app in question was more of a test to see how mobile ads worked with LiveCode. It seems that in order to make any money with mobile advertisements you'll need tens if not hundreds of thousands of views/clicks. I've never tried to contact either company, so I can't comment of customer service.

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Sat May 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Just and update about the ad-networks, my test app has 2 ads from inneractive and 2 from vserv.mobi. It has about 1000 downloads, so I figured this might be useful to some of you. These are the stats for both ad networks for the last 30 days:

vserv stats
Vserv Ads Market.png
inneractive stats
Inneractive.png

keram

Post by keram » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi Sefro,

I had a look at your stats but at present I don't have any knowledge what the names in the headers of the columns mean and how all these factors influence the revenue.
Do you have all this info at hand and could post it here?
Or at perhaps can point to some source where all this is well explained?

Thanks in advance.

keram
Using the latest stable version of LC Community 6.7.x on Win 7 Home Premium, 64bit

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:38 pm

HI Keram,

This is what i *think* these statistics mean:

Requests: how many times my app requested an ad.

Ads: How many ads were served

FillRate: The percentage of times ad requests were successfully filled

Impressions: How many people actually saw an ad(?)

Clicks: How many people actually clicked an ad.

CTR: Click through rate. The percentage of people who clicked an ad (?)

eCPM: is the Estimated profit from 1,000 impressions.

I think this is what the stats are saying, it has seems to me that unless your app has an active user base of tens if not hundreds of thousands of users, monetizing through these ad networks is probably not a great way to make money.

keram

Post by keram » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Thanks Sefro,

It's more clear now...

and is it possible to at least test http://vserve.mobi/ service with LC Community stack or does it have to be the Commercial one?

keram
Using the latest stable version of LC Community 6.7.x on Win 7 Home Premium, 64bit

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:29 pm

keram wrote:
and is it possible to at least test http://vserve.mobi/ service with LC Community stack or does it have to be the Commercial one?
This is probably a question for support. I would think that while it may be possible, it is probably against the terms of the community license....

--Sefro

fedaykinofdune

Post by fedaykinofdune » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:22 am

I can understand the reasoning behind the Community edition not supporting Inneractive adverts, it would encourage more developers to shell out for commercial licensing and as a side effect, would help filter out a lot of ad-supported "app spam", I suppose. I wonder what RunRev's official position on adverts within applications deployed on Community edition licensing is?

I haven't done any testing yet but have meant to play around with some advert SDK's to determine which one is easiest to use, offers the best potential earnings, etc.

Return to “Making IDE Plugins”