Changing the browser layer

Are you developing tools to extend the LiveCode environment? This is the place to talk about the nuts and bolts of extending our nuts and bolts. If you want to use a LiveCode or third party Environment extension, visit the Using Evironment Extensions forum.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

William Jamieson
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
Location: Palo Alto, CA put williamdjamieso into tEmail / put n@gmail.com after tEmail/ revmail tEmail

Changing the browser layer

Post by William Jamieson » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Now that Livecode is open source, I was wondering if anyone knew where in the engine script Livecode sets the layer of the browser window on top. Actually, I know that the browser doesn't even have a registered "layer" But I would like to find a way to set it under other objects. Willing to learn a bit of C to do it. Any help would be awesome 8)

-Will

FourthWorld

Re: Changing the browser layer

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:20 pm

The source for the revBrowser external is here:
https://github.com/runrev/livecode/tree ... revbrowser

I suspect it'll require an architectural change deeper in the engine, however, to do what you want. Right now the external merely designates a rectangle within the window, control over which is passed on to the host OS's browser engine. Since the drawing is handled externally from LC, the LC engine has no way to buffer its contents in a way that would allow layering with native LC controls.

That said, a new browser control is on the roadmap for down the road after some higher priorities are completed:
http://livecode.com/community/roadmap/
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Making IDE Plugins”