Environment for server

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ewanrichardson

Environment for server

Post by ewanrichardson » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi guys, thought id share with you something that i have discovered on my travels on the the internet.

https://cloudron.io/
"Host multiple apps on your server. Cloudron keeps them up-to-date and secure."

First looks i have been pretty impressed with it, have a look at the demo on the website and you will see where its going.

I am currently playing with this on AWS hosting. Basically it is a docker environment for installing applications onto a server, and looking after things like authentication ect.
The interesting thing from the livecode perspective is that livecode server can be thrown inside an apache docker and ran inside this server system, which means easy one click installs for apps and customers, even with bundled databases. It even sorts out the DNS side of things when you install an app onto a subdomain, pretty cool.

If anyone is interested i will do my best to document the process if installing livecode server in here, and publish the github links for the docker images.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Environment for server

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:35 pm

I believe there's a Docker image for LiveCode here:
https://hub.docker.com/r/techstrategies/livecode/
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

ewanrichardson

Re: Environment for server

Post by ewanrichardson » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks for that, have already stumbled over that one and taken some inspiration from it!

Problem with cloudron is that it requires a specific start image for the build process to package the application, so have to craft if from scratch, that being said its really not difficult as it is just really a manifest file.

Return to “CGIs and the Server”