Setup LC Server 6 on Windows Server 2012 with IIS 8

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

PaoloMazza

Setup LC Server 6 on Windows Server 2012 with IIS 8

Post by PaoloMazza » Mon May 19, 2014 3:00 pm

Hello Revs,
how can I install LC Server 6 on Windows Server 2012 with Microsoft IIS 8?

I went through the LiveCode Forums and I found this post referring to WindowsXP IIS 5.1

http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php? ... 562#p41010

However I was not able to install the LiveCode Server in Windows Server 2012 with Microsoft IIS 8 because the user interface of IIS 8 is quite different.

I guess I am supposed to follow the guidelines of this page of the Microsoft IIS manual:

Add a Script Map Handler Mapping

"http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... s.10).aspx"

but I keep getting an error message at the end of the "Add a Script Map Handler Mapping" procedure (attached).

Somebody can help me on this? Thanks a lot,

Paolo Mazza
Attachments
error mapping.png
Paolo Mazza
Italy

bbyte47

Re: Setup LC Server 6 on Windows Server 2012 with IIS 8

Post by bbyte47 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:15 am

Although this post is over a year old thought I would post my solution here as my initial google search brought me here. And like Paolo also found Barry Sumpter's walkthrough but got equally stumped as IIS has changed from when Barry did his posting. Equally got stuck at the same point that Paolo was with the Handler Mapping error and there was not a lot of help that I was able to find. But by dumb luck stumbled on the solution so wanted to share it with anyone who might have an interest.

First I am working on a Windows 10 Home box with IIS 10 and I used the newly released Livecode Community Server 8.0.0 DP4 even though it is not a stable release as I have had good results with the 8.0 releases and secondly I am not working on a production box.

I am not sure when Microsoft separated out the CGI module from the rest of IIS but they did and that is the first step that I had to take going back in the Programs and Features section selecting "Turn Windows features on or off" at the left of the window. Once opened choose IIS and expand it selecting "World Wide Web Services" then "Application Development Features" and then checking the box for CGI. Then click OK and that module will install.
Attachments
IIS-cgi.PNG

bbyte47

Post by bbyte47 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:21 am

Setup Livecode Server with IIS continued.

Open up the IIS Manager and expand down to the site that you want to work with. In my case it is a site called MyTest. Once I select that then the different IIS setting options are available. Notice that one of the options is CGI which wasn't there before. However, I left the default settings alone for the CGI module and chose the Handler Mappings.
Attachments
handler-mappings.PNG

bbyte47

Post by bbyte47 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:28 am

Setup LC Server with IIS continued.

After opening up the Handler Mapping I chose the "Add Scripts Map..." and a dialog opens up and I put in *.lc in the first box. For the second I selected the path where I had stored the Livecode-Community-Server.exe. And for the third box put in livecode-community-server. After choosing OK this is what the handler items then showed.
Attachments
iis-handler-mapping.PNG

bbyte47

Post by bbyte47 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:32 am

Setup LC Server with IIS continued.

That completed the setup. I added Barry's LC script to the MyTest folder and then using localhost/test.lc got this result in the browser.
Attachments
livecode-server-installed.PNG

Return to “CGIs and the Server”