Setting Up LiveCode Server on a Shared HostGator Server

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

deebee
Livecode Opensource Backer

Setting Up LiveCode Server on a Shared HostGator Server

Post by deebee » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:25 am

I had a time figuring this out so I'll share what I did in 3 simple steps.

Do the following to get LiveCode Server up and running on your shared HostGator server by doing the following:

1. Unzip the livecode-server for linux package into your /public_html/cgi-bin/ directory.

2. Set the permissions of the folders/files inside the /public_html/cgi-bin/ directory as follows:

Code: Select all

drivers/            0755
externals/          0755
livecode-server     0755

3. Place the following code into the .htaccess file located in the /public_html/ directory:

Code: Select all

Options ExecCGI +FollowSymlinks
AddHandler livecode-script .lc
Action livecode-script /cgi-bin/livecode-server
If +FollowSymlinks is missing from /public_html/.htaccess on a shared HostGator server, you will get a 403 error when you try to navigate to a .lc page.

Congratulations! You should now be able to run your Livecode scripts from your shared HostGator server!

bangkok
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Setting Up LiveCode Server on a Shared HostGator Server

Post by bangkok » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks for the how-to.

LiveCode Server is such a great product.... everything that can increase its popularity is good to take. :)

Could you tell us more about your experience with HostGator, in terms of quality etc. ?

deebee

Re: Setting Up LiveCode Server on a Shared HostGator Server

Post by deebee » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:37 pm

bangkok wrote:Could you tell us more about your experience with HostGator, in terms of quality etc. ?
I've been with them for about 4 years I think and the service seems solid. I've had very few issues and when I did have an issue, customer support had me fixed up in less than 24 hrs. I think the price is fair. Admin is done through cPanel, and server overides are allowed via .htaccess. Unlimited storage, subdomains, databases, blah blah blah, pretty much the standard issue these days.
Take in mind, however, that I am by no means a power user running heavy traffic sites. I just use it as my tinkering space.

Return to “CGIs and the Server”