POLL: LiveCode Server deployment

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

How do you use LiveCode Server?

I haven't used it yet but intend to.
29%
I run it on a VPS or dedicated server.
30%
I run it on a shared hosting service.
30%
I have no interest in LiveCode Server.
11%

Total votes: 66

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: POLL: LiveCode Server deployment

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 am

Very pleased to read your enthusiastic reply, fritzdekatt. Thanks for chiming in here.

There's so much to the range of topics with client-server apps, let's see if we can narrow it down to get you going: what would you like to build, how far have you gotten so far, and what roadblocks have you run into thus far?
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

fritzdekatt

Post by fritzdekatt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:41 am

FourthWorld wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 am
Very pleased to read your enthusiastic reply, fritzdekatt. Thanks for chiming in here.

There's so much to the range of topics with client-server apps, let's see if we can narrow it down to get you going: what would you like to build, how far have you gotten so far, and what roadblocks have you run into thus far?
I would like several cradle-to-grave examples of browser based implementations. A CRUD MySQL or SQLite app would be a good place to start, using no LC Desktop front end, just a regular old browser. If you want to know exactly what I personally would like to see (and what I suppose other newbies would be interested in), take that whole Cloud and Database Academy and convert it to the browser as client. It's a great course, but it's all desktop consuming web services (or desktop directly interfacing with a database server).

I've built a rudimentary database CRUD app on the desktop and I can query MySQL all day from a browser. Roadblocks, besides the inevitable calcification of the brain due to my age, amount to the serious dearth of complete tutorials for LC server. The fact that there's virtually nothing on YouTube concentrating on browser based LC Server solutions suggests to me that nobody's doing that. Ditto for Udemy.com. The longest piece I've ever read on the subject was from BYU, and that was a few paragraphs.

Most of the posts seem to focus on the problems inherent in setting it up, which may be why we see so few actually programming it.

Thank you for asking, and good luck in your quest to make sense of all of this.

fritzdekatt

Post by fritzdekatt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:15 am

"Have you seen Scott McDonald's LiveCode Lab? It's pretty cool, a sort of platform-as-a-service for LiveCode Server:
http://thelivecodelab.com/"

This lab is currently offline, but it says it will be back later this year.
Sounds like a good idea though.

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:30 am

Scott did leave an email address there at the bottom of the page, you might give that a shot ?

Return to “CGIs and the Server”