externals in LiveCode vs RunRev

Interested adding compiled externals from LiveCode and third parties to your LiveCode projects? This is the place to talk about them.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

OBDave

externals in LiveCode vs RunRev

Post by OBDave » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Hello - I have been using RunRev 4.0 on and off for a year or so and decided to give LiveCode 4.6.2 a try. Right off the bat I'm having problems calling external functions. Have the rules for eternal calls changed? Searching through the forums and Google didn't yield anything. The issue is that RunRev calls to functions that reside in a external were OK, but under LiveCode, the function call is flagged with:
card "MainCard": execution error at line 88 (Handler: can't find handler)

If somebody could point me in the right direction I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Dave

shaosean

Re: externals in LiveCode vs RunRev

Post by shaosean » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:30 am

Did you set the folder properly in the preferences?

OBDave

Post by OBDave » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:30 am

By that, you mean the "User Extensions" setting in Preferences... Files & Memory? Setting that did not resolve the issue.

Interestingly enough, this was never set in RunRev 4.0. But your suggestions jogged my memory. When I set up RunRev 4.0, I had to go into the Run Rev application folder and add my external .bundle and .dll there, so I tried doing this with LiveCode and it seems to have resolved my issue.

Thanks very much for the reply!

Dave

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:32 am

There is a format to the user extension folder.. We will use "/" to mean the root of the user extension folder (os on my computer that would translate to /shaosean/Documents/My Revolution Enterprise/ )

/Externals
/Externals/Externals.txt
/Plugins
/Resources
/Resources/Icon Libraries
/Resources/Object Libraries
/Resources/Script Libraries (I think this is part of the default folders that rev uses)
/Runtime (best to copy the folder from the application and remove all the files, but keep the folder layout)

Return to “Using Externals”