Can't Get PowerDebug Demo to work

Interested adding compiled externals from LiveCode and third parties to your LiveCode projects? This is the place to talk about them.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

John Gaidos

Can't Get PowerDebug Demo to work

Post by John Gaidos » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:49 pm

I can't seem to get the PowerDebug Demo to work. I am using Mac Os X 10.6.6, Livecode 4.5.3. I put PowerDebug into the plugin folder of the Livecode distribution. It does not start automatically when LiveCode is launched. If I select it from the plug in menu item, the About PowerDebug window opens, but nothing else. As long as that window is there, I can't do anything with my project. What am I missing here?

John

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Can't Get PowerDebug Demo to work

Post by mwieder » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:58 am

That's the configuration panel for PowerDebug. When you say it doesn't start automatically, do you mean there's nothing different or do you mean when you hit a breakpoint you don't invoke the debugger?

John Gaidos

Post by John Gaidos » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:42 am

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply. Here is what happened. Initially I had the PowerDebug plugin set up to Open Plugin when Revolution Starts up. Which I guess is the default, and the way it is supposed to be used. I didn't realize until I looked at your question that the plugin would not show a screen until a breakpoint was triggered during debugging. I had expected to see something before that. So I tried changing the plugin setting to "Open plugin when chosen from plugins menu". This is where I really got into trouble. Here is what I did: Open Livecode. From the development tab I selected Plugins revPowerDebug. The "About PowerDebug" screen opened. The message box opens behind it. The "About PowerDebug" window can be moved, but not the message window. I opened my stack. At this point, the only thing on the screen that i can interact with is the "About PowerDebug" window. I cannot interact with my stack or the tool palate. The menu selections up top are useable. So, since I am stuck and can't do anything I select close and remove from memory. The resulting message box asking if I really want to do this can't be moved out from under the message window for me to select ok. Selecting cancel does nothing. At this point everything is completely hung, and I must use force quit from the activity monitor to kill Livecode. So this is where I ended up last night when I wrote my first message. Tonight, I tried again and set the plugin up to "Open plugin when Revolution Starts up". I opened up my stack and set a breakpoint and when the breakpoint was triggered, the PowerDebug window opened up and it works fine. I guess the moral of the story is don't try selecting the plugin from the plugin menu. I will give it a better evaluation as I get more into the coding and debug of my application.

John

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:49 am

Glad it's working for you now. You *shouldn't* have to fiddle with the plugin settings - it's set to pop up the configuration panel when you select it from the plugins menu, and that's only if you want to change some of the defaults - custom color settings and the like. Otherwise you can just ignore the fact that it's in that menu (or change its settings so that it *doesn't* appear in the menu) - you can still get to the preferences panel from the help icon while the debugger is open. That should be it - lemme know if you have any more problems with things.

williamblake621

Post by williamblake621 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:02 am

I'm little bit confused with it but I'm definitely going try it out once time at least !

Return to “Using Externals”