Interface with BIOPAC system

Interested adding compiled externals from LiveCode and third parties to your LiveCode projects? This is the place to talk about them.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

starfirescully

Interface with BIOPAC system

Post by starfirescully » Tue May 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Hello everyone,

I wanted to know whether LIVECODE has the ability to interface with the BIOPAC system for recording skin conductance responses. If anyone knows anything, or knows where I can look for resources, please let me know.

Thanks!

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Interface with BIOPAC system

Post by FourthWorld » Tue May 23, 2017 4:52 pm

BIOPAC offers a scripting interface:
https://www.biopac.com/scripts/

I would imagine you could trigger those scripts with LiveCode Script's shell function, no?

If you need lower-level access, such as to any C++ APIs BIOPAC may also offer, you should be able to address those with LiveCode Builder.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

starfirescully

Post by starfirescully » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:37 pm

The BIOPAC scripting interface is within the BIOPAC software itself, not for communication between presentation software and BIOPAC. Thank you for your suggestion though.

I need to be able to interface Livecode and BIOPAC from separate computers. I need to be able to have Livecode send a message to the BIOPAC software telling the software to set an event mark in the data.

mrcoollion

Post by mrcoollion » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:56 pm

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:22 pm

starfirescully wrote:The BIOPAC scripting interface is within the BIOPAC software itself, not for communication between presentation software and BIOPAC. Thank you for your suggestion though.

I need to be able to interface Livecode and BIOPAC from separate computers. I need to be able to have Livecode send a message to the BIOPAC software telling the software to set an event mark in the data.
If BIOPAC offers no network access then some form of that would need to be added to the system. Would it be practical to use Apache, with PHP, LiveCode, Perl, or some other middleware that manages the requests and obtains what it needs from BIOPAC for the reply?

If this is on a local (and trusted) network you might even be able to mod the libHTTPd now included with LC v9 to provide a simple HTTP-based API.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

starfirescully

Post by starfirescully » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Thank you for your comments. It looks like all I would have to do to communicate with the BIOPAC is to send signals to specific pins on a parallel port cable. I am now grappling with this!

Thanks again!

Return to “Using Externals”