Suggestion for RunRev

Interested adding compiled externals from LiveCode and third parties to your LiveCode projects? This is the place to talk about them.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

paul@researchware.com
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Suggestion for RunRev

Post by paul@researchware.com » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:59 pm

There have been so many Announcement [ANN] postings about developer-oriented plug-ins for LiveCode to either the "Developer" or "Use" Lists or even the "Using Externals and Plugins" forum topic in recent months. All of these look like very useful tools for developers.

I may not be alone in not having the time to look at every one when they are announced. And, while I try to file some of the announcements away for later reference, I received a LOT of email and letting it pile up is not always practical. However, when I am developing new software, there are time when access to one of these many tools or plugins would have been very helpful - IF I had remembered it.

My suggestion: Could RunRev please establish a simple database on the RunRev web site where developer's of these tools can submit and entry for them. Just a name, description, and URL for more information at a minimum would vbe helpful. A screenshot, author information, and a few more fields would polish it up nicely. The page serves both as a resource to existing developers and as marketing to potential customer illustrating the richness of the LiveCode community. Of course appropriate legal disclaimers can apply.

Such a research page would make finding and using such tools easier than hunting through mailing list archives or search through forum posts. The resource is also complementary to the Add-Ons in the RunRev store, illustrating a larger availability of both free and commercial tools sold by independent suppliers as well as RunRev.

So how about it?
Paul Dupuis
Researchware, Inc.

dave_probertGA6e24
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Suggestion for RunRev

Post by dave_probertGA6e24 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Hey, I'll give a +1 for that. Sounds like an App Store for Add-on's :)

But the problem would be somebody will need to moderate it so that people cannot just dump rubbish there (like there being too many fart apps on iTunes ;) )

But it does have many merits as an idea - especially on the marketing front.

Now the question is - will anyone from RunRev follow up on this?

Cheers,
Dave
Coding in the Sun - So much Fun.
Visit http://electronic-apps.info for released App information.

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:14 pm

Now the question is - will anyone from RunRev follow up on this?
they do not even read the forums, so i doubt it.. but they do have that rev online thing, but i too would prefer a web-based site..

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:46 pm

Sean, what became of your directory?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:06 pm

RevJournal seems like an ideal place for this. It's already an established resource and is cross linked from lots of places.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:23 pm

jacque wrote:RevJournal seems like an ideal place for this. It's already an established resource and is cross linked from lots of places.
I would be happy to host such a solution at LiveCodeJournal.com if someone wants to take care of the data entry.

I have another way to solve this problem currently half-baked, but it's uncertain when I'll get time to put it back in the oven.

So in the meantime anyone interested in doing this sort of thing manually feel free to drop me a note anytime.

That goes for articles too - LCJ is a community-driven effort, and I'm open to just about any LiveCode-related content folks want to contribute.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:33 pm

FourthWorld wrote:Sean, what became of your directory?
wasn't really used by anyone, lacking features, etc, plus i stopped using rev (i still curate the web ring, but that seems pretty dead too)..

Mag

Post by Mag » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:32 pm

paul@researchware.com wrote:My suggestion: Could RunRev please establish a simple database on the RunRev web site where developer's of these tools can submit and entry for them. Just a name, description, and URL for more information at a minimum would vbe helpful. A screenshot, author information, and a few more fields would polish it up nicely. The page serves both as a resource to existing developers and as marketing to potential customer illustrating the richness of the LiveCode community. Of course appropriate legal disclaimers can apply.
Hi paul@researchware.com, interesting post.

My opinion is that I would like to prefer that RunRev focus on what the product IS not what could be with plugins and add ons.

I start to develop with LiveCode recently and one of the thing surprised me most is the great emphasis the company put in plugins in own marketing, documentation, store etc (forgetting that some of those plugings are outdated and malfunctioning).

An updated plugin directory could be a great thing, but I think has not to be a RunRev task.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi,

About a year ago, I had a software website (like Versiontracker) with a special Revolution (LiveCode) category. There was no interest. It was used by only 2 LiveCode developers.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Return to “Using Externals”