Not able to make mergDatagridScroller running

Interested adding externals/plugins from LiveCode and third parties to your LiveCode projects? This is the place to talk about them.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Post Reply
UKMC
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Not able to make mergDatagridScroller running

Post by UKMC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi altogether,

sorry for this newbie-question, but I do not get the next hurdle...

As I want to have a datagrid with native behaviour on iOS and Android, I downloaded mergDatagridScroller 1.3

Some steps were successful, but now I got stuck in the swamp...

1. I loaded DropTools form SOT and installed it - worked
2. I loaded mergDatagridScroller 1.3 and installed it - worked
3. I wanted to try out as described within the readme-file
3a. I tried with a newly created stack where I put an mergDatagrid on
3b. I opened the sample stack delivered with MergDatagridScroller (mergDatagridScroller.livecode)
4. In both cases I tried to exchange the mergdatagrid through my own one as described in the readme, I edited the group, ungrouped it, tried to exchange several parts of it - no countable results

My hope is that anyone is out there who can give me a step-by-step-advice so I can get this working

Many thanks in advance and best regards


Ulrich

Mikey
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Not able to make mergDatagridScroller running

Post by Mikey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Two suggestions:
1) Once you have dropTools installed, drag the mergDGScroller object to your stack. I don't understand what you're trying to do in step 4, but ungrouping copying/pasting that object is bad, because the behavior references won't flow. The MDGS is just a script tied to an invisible overlay. When your app starts on mobile, the behavior generates the scroller object.
2) Have you tried Bernd's modTableField, instead of a DG? You can get an appearance that is very similar, but it isn't as heavy, code-wise, and it seems to be more responsive on mobile. Make sure you check with Bernd as he is beta-testing a new version specifically for mobile. It seems to work, but I haven't put it into production until I try harder to break it.
3) Have you tried a simpleTable from Scott Rossi's tmControls2?

UKMC
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Re: Not able to make mergDatagridScroller running

Post by UKMC » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:17 am

Hi Mikey,

thanls fpr your helpful answer.

Can you give me a hint where to find those two packages ?

Best regards

Ulrich

AxWald
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Not able to make mergDatagridScroller running

Post by AxWald » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:58 pm

Coincidence!
Googling for "modTableField" I found your question :)
UKMC wrote:Can you give me a hint where to find those two packages ?
Here you go: Bernd Niggemanns ModTableField & Scott Rossis TableLab

If these are not the most recent URLs some helpful forum participant will help us out, I hope ;-)

Have fun!
Livecode programming until the cat hits the fan ...

Mikey
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Not able to make mergDatagridScroller running

Post by Mikey » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Tmcontrols2 is a product that Scott sells for skinning mobile apps. TableLab is similar to modtablefield - they're both attempts by members of the community to invent their own thing. If you want to see what Bernd is doing with MTF, check out the dictionary rewrite thread, right here on the forums. Bernd is working on making a new dictionary. The list that he is using to do that is a MTF.

UKMC
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Re: Not able to make mergDatagridScroller running

Post by UKMC » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:56 pm

Good evening,

I looked for the proposed solutions, but as I saw they are specialized in displaying text in rows and columns but I need forms with images.
So it looks for me that I have to choose mergDatagridScroller...

In the meantime I got it working (don't know exactly how up to now, but one try must have been the right actions ;-)

Now there is only one point left:
How can I resize the datagrid ?
With the command
dispatch "updateContentRect" to group "mergDataGridScroller 3"
I'm sorrowly not successful.
There is no error, but as well no effect :-(

Does anyone has an idea what's my problem ?

Best regards


Ulrich

UKMC
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Re: Not able to make mergDatagridScroller running

Post by UKMC » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:51 am

Hi all,

coming back to my problem:
Does anybody know a screenshot-video where MDGS is brought into effect ?
It seems to me that it should not be so hard to get it working but - it is....

I hope there is someone out there who can help

Best regards


Ulrich

UKMC wrote:Hi altogether,

sorry for this newbie-question, but I do not get the next hurdle...

As I want to have a datagrid with native behaviour on iOS and Android, I downloaded mergDatagridScroller 1.3

Some steps were successful, but now I got stuck in the swamp...

1. I loaded DropTools form SOT and installed it - worked
2. I loaded mergDatagridScroller 1.3 and installed it - worked
3. I wanted to try out as described within the readme-file
3a. I tried with a newly created stack where I put an mergDatagrid on
3b. I opened the sample stack delivered with MergDatagridScroller (mergDatagridScroller.livecode)
4. In both cases I tried to exchange the mergdatagrid through my own one as described in the readme, I edited the group, ungrouped it, tried to exchange several parts of it - no countable results

My hope is that anyone is out there who can give me a step-by-step-advice so I can get this working

Many thanks in advance and best regards


Ulrich

Klaus
Posts: 9589
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:41 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Not able to make mergDatagridScroller running

Post by Klaus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi friends,

where can I get/download mergDatagridScroller?
I searched all possible URLs, no way.

Thanks for any hints!


Best

Klaus

Mikey
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
Posts: 552
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Not able to make mergDatagridScroller running

Post by Mikey » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:25 pm

I see that someone posted it in one of the other threads:
http://forums.livecode.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 14&t=28172

Also, you might want to try out the modTableField. Check with Bernd for the latest version. It behaves much like a DG, but it seems to be more responsive on mobile. I'm still toying with it, but I am thinking about replacing all my mobile DG's with MTF's.

Klaus
Posts: 9589
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:41 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Not able to make mergDatagridScroller running

Post by Klaus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi Mikey,
Mikey wrote:I see that someone posted it in one of the other threads:
http://forums.livecode.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 14&t=28172
thanks a lot!


Best

Klaus

Post Reply

Return to “Using Externals and Plugins”