Filemaker Tax Package

This is the place to discuss all things relating to using LiveCode For FM, the LiveCode interface for FileMaker.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

6JIMBO

Filemaker Tax Package

Post by 6JIMBO » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:12 am

Hi I have a nearly functioning Tax Preparation program. FM licencing seems expensive. I need to service about
600 clients, One of the guys on FM Forum mentioned livecode. I stumbled upon a quote screen here. I put in above and Livecode gave me a quote of $ 14000 Can that be right. While I am here can livecode accept input from my clients. You can tell I am an accountant not a programmer. Any ideas ? Thanks Jim [ Australia]

bogs

Re: Filemaker Tax Package

Post by bogs » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:44 pm

I don't know what 'quote' screen you were at, these are the prices for the various editions of Lc~
Selection_079.png
$14000 ?
As you can see, you can start from $0 and go up as high as $1999, but for what your talking about you might start with the free version. If you need to keep the code proprietary, then you can move to the more suitable paid for version level necessary when you are ready to release the program after you have roughed it in with the free version.
6JIMBO wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:12 am
While I am here can livecode accept input from my clients.
Livecode is an 'IDE', or integrated development environment, it is where you would create the program you would distribute to your clients. In the case of the program your describing, you would setup part of the program on a server most likely, and distribute client module parts to your customers. Alternately, you could build a localized style program since you are talking about tax preparation, where it is completely self contained on the client's pc just like the old days.

In the first case (server), you would have to setup a web server to dish out requests from your client software. Livecode does have a server component to it which you can setup, making the whole trip doable in the one language, that would be up to you.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Hi Jim,

welcome to the forum!

@ bogs,

Jim is referring to "Livecode for Filemaker" which is a different product than LC: https://filemaker.livecode.com

The license is a per seat license, so this can get quite costly as Jim experienced.

Best

Klaus

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:19 pm

Klaus wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:59 pm
@ bogs, Jim is referring to "Livecode for Filemaker" which is a different product than LC: https://filemaker.livecode.com
Ah, my bad! I thought he was actually looking to switch from using FM to using Lc Image

Return to “LiveCode for FM”