Any examples of projects deployed in HTML5?

Bringing your stacks to the web

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

rodneyt

Any examples of projects deployed in HTML5?

Post by rodneyt » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:32 pm

Hi there,

Can anyone in the forum point me to any examples of completed projects deployed in HTML5. So far all I have been able to find is experiments and tests mostly from a few years ago. I'd be interested in experiences of Livecoders who have attempted to build a project using this deploy option.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Rodney

[-hh]
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Any examples of projects deployed in HTML5?

Post by [-hh] » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:53 am

rodneyt wrote: ... all I have been able to find is experiments and tests mostly from a few years ago.
Before you ask for a "full demo" by others:
Where are *your* constructive contributions (name them "projects" or "test" or "experiments" ...)??
shiftLock happens

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:34 am

I'm a bit more curious to find out what is considered a 'completed' project? What is it you are looking to do or accomplish in html5?

rodneyt

Post by rodneyt » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:23 am

[-hh] wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:53 am
rodneyt wrote: ... all I have been able to find is experiments and tests mostly from a few years ago.
Before you ask for a "full demo" by others:
Where are *your* constructive contributions (name them "projects" or "test" or "experiments" ...)??
Hi Herman,

I am hoping to get back into professional LiveCode development this year after many years away. I did a lot of development in Hypercard, Metacard and RunRev then livecode in the 90's and 00's, and released some open sourced resources at that time, such as LibCGI (with Monte), and was a frequent contributor to the (particularly then Metacard) email lists on programming questions. I will certainly be wanting to contribute resources back to the community as I get back into the swing of things. My question above was only meant to try to get an understanding of how people are using HTML5 deploy, and whether anyone was using it in a commercial or educational context. My feeling at the moment is it would perhaps be best suited for tasks like building small simulations or utilities.

~ Rodney

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:16 am

Is this the same Rodney T from the antipodes? Really glad to see you pop in here. It's been a while.

Let's Skype sometime soon and I'll give you the lowdown on LC's HTML export and you can tell me how your product has been evolving.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:24 am

rodneyt wrote:... I will certainly be wanting to contribute resources back to the community as I get back into the swing of things ...
I really look forward to that. Thanks for your earlier work. (I am with LC since 2013, so I couldn't know that, nobody mentioned your work.)
... My question above was only meant to try to get an understanding of how people are using HTML5 deploy ...
Most of them are trying to compile their desktop "projects" and give up as they usually don't run without workarounds.
There are a lot of features that work on desktop but don't work in HTML5 standalones. There are moreover some features that depend on browser features. And there are missing features that need workarounds in the browser (using javascript).
... and whether anyone was using it in a commercial or educational context ...
Didn't see any example. Probably because until half a year ago the (first) loading time for a HTML5 standalone was (much) greater than 10 seconds. And because HTML5 standalones don't work with IE or Edge. And because HTML5 standalones usually don't work on mobile.
... My feeling at the moment is it would perhaps be best suited for tasks like building small simulations or utilities...
It is not best suited, what you see is what works at all.
Not even the smart metacard boys were able to publish one single demo that you would possibly call a "completed project" --- not in 5 years of a working standalone builder.
shiftLock happens

rodneyt

Post by rodneyt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:46 am

FourthWorld wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:16 am
Is this the same Rodney T from the antipodes? Really glad to see you pop in here. It's been a while.

Let's Skype sometime soon and I'll give you the lowdown on LC's HTML export and you can tell me how your product has been evolving.
Hi Richard, yes indeed it is the same Rodney :-)

Would be nice to have a catchup , please send me an instant message via the forum or to rodney@oceanbrowser.com.

~ Rodney
https://www.ob3.io

Return to “HTML5”