ios keyboard popping up

Bringing your stacks to the web

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Wally
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

ios keyboard popping up

Post by Wally » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Anyone know a js trick to stop the built in ios keyboard from popping up no matter what control one touches? Of course we want this behavior for text input flds but not everything! My fairly complex HTML5 app works acceptably well(sorta) except for this problem.

gstrekkie

Re: ios keyboard popping up

Post by gstrekkie » Mon May 14, 2018 3:51 pm

I too am experiencing this issue and was looking for a solution!

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Mon May 21, 2018 10:45 am

HTML5 standalones are not (really) made for mobile. So I have only very few experiences with very simple tests.

Did you already try the following?

Code: Select all

on mouseUp
   focus on nothing
   -- your code
on mouseUp
shiftLock happens

gstrekkie

Post by gstrekkie » Mon May 21, 2018 3:24 pm

Yes I too came across that solution however it doesn’t seem to work for me. If someone else has had any luck let me know perhaps I am not implementing it correctly. Thanks

Wally

Post by Wally » Tue May 22, 2018 5:31 pm

The app works reasonably well on my iPad with tons of things going on and hundreds of controls.

The "focus on nothing" in mouseUp works for btns but not cards or groups or other controls. Hopefully it can be fixed soon because the app does work on Mobile(iPad) except for this!

I was hoping some javascript expert could rescue us.

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 pm

Wally wrote:the app does work on Mobile(iPad) except for this.
That's probably one reason that HTML5 standalones are not advertised for mobile usage.
Wally wrote:I was hoping some javascript expert could rescue us.
It is very simple to catch events by JavaScript. But for using these catched events you better write the whole app using JavaScript.
shiftLock happens

Wally

Post by Wally » Thu May 24, 2018 2:49 pm

When I contributed($500) to the HTML5 funding campaign I was expecting Mobile usage.

In the "What can I do with it?" section of the funding page it said "As long as the platform can run an HTML5 capable browser, you can deliver your app to it."

From the funding page:
"When will the final version be delivered?"
"We aim to have a working prototype in the first half of 2015 and a final version later that year. A great deal of experimentation will be required to make web delivery fast enough so it is not possible to give a more accurate timescale yet."

I'm still very disappointed in the delivery of this platform - it's way past the time it should be out of beta and fully functional.

GregWills

Post by GregWills » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:28 am

[-hh] wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:45 am
HTML5 standalones are not (really) made for mobile. So I have only very few experiences with very simple tests.

Did you already try the following?

Code: Select all

on mouseUp
   focus on nothing
   -- your code
on mouseUp
I tried this at the card level and button level and in both cases, on a tablet, the keyboard popped up. So I guess it doesn't fix the issue.

It would be nice to have a HTML5 version that can be used on a mobile device, especially as so many people use these as their primary internet access. By this I mean, not an app: - for what I need.

cheers

Greg

GregWills

Post by GregWills » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:16 am

Did anyone explore this any further?

It is still a big issue for me and I would appreciate any thoughts (solutions preferably) from the brilliant minds out there :-)

Cheers

Greg

Wally

Post by Wally » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:56 pm

This issue, the keyboard popping up after touching any control in an HTML5 app is an absolute deal breaker. Any potential user will abandon the app in seconds.

It's very irritating(to be kind) because the livecode web page describing its HTML5 edition says"

"Extend Your Reach

The biggest reason for building a web app is – everyone has a browser! Web apps are platform agnostic, they will run on desktop and mobile, on your smart phone, on a chromebook, anywhere that runs a modern browser capable of supporting HTML5."

False advertising?

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:22 pm

Wally wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:56 pm
The biggest reason for building a web app is – everyone has a browser! Web apps are platform agnostic, they will run on desktop and mobile, on your smart phone, on a chromebook, anywhere that runs a modern browser capable of supporting HTML5."

False advertising?
How is that false advertising?

Runs on desktop or mobile ✅
...on your smart phone (I presume it actually runs there, so ✅ even though I haven't personally tested it)
... on a chromebook (I actually tested this one myself, so ✅)
... anywhere that runs a modern browser capable of supporting HTML 5 ✅
Wally wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:56 pm
This issue, the keyboard popping up after touching any control in an HTML5 app is an absolute deal breaker.
While a keyboard activating may be annoying if you, say, click on a web page button, I don't see it listed in what you put as a quote from the page, and wouldn't necessarily be a 'deal breaker' for someone using a web based app.

Aside from that, there may well be a way to prevent the event from occurring. I'd say look harder.

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:54 pm

HTML5 standalones were never made for use on mobile.
There was no progress with the HTML5 standalone builder since I wrote this last time (midth 2018).
Any touch (mouseUp) pops up the virtual keyboard. There is no way to work around that.
The advertising should read
"anywhere on desktop that runs a modern browser capable of supporting HTML5.
(Nevertheless some HTML5 standalones run on mobile ...)"
shiftLock happens

Wally

Post by Wally » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:58 am

Go look at the sales web page for the html5 license.

https://livecode.com/products/html5-edition/

The huge picture near the top of the page is of a phone running an HTML5 app. The picture is larger than the screen on my iPad. Doesn’t that indicate that livecode HTML5 is advertised and meant to run on a mobile device(s)?

Very disappointing that we can’t make apps as promised after all these years. I still contend that the keyboard popping up on any user touch is a deal breaker, users will abandon the app.

Are you sure there is no way around this keyboard problem [-hh]?

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:33 am

I would be glad to be wrong with that. Please ask the team/LC support (support at livecode.com).
shiftLock happens

Wally

Post by Wally » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:04 pm

This issue is the subject of a bug report that is confirmed.
https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21053

Panos wrote in the bug report:

"I am not sure if we officially support mobile browsers for html5 standalones."

I wrote back:

On this LiveCode page "https://livecode.com/products/html5-edition/"

It says:

"This means that LiveCode now not only supports iOS, Android, Mac, Windows and Linux natively… it has extended its reach to Blackberry, Chromebook, or any one of a dozen niche platforms that we don’t build native apps for. "

This is a critical bug so it needs to be fixed, please! Having HTML5 in Mobile browsers is the reason I bought this still useless license! I agree with the poster above: This should be marked Urgent.[/b]

If support is not sure, shouldn't there be an official response to this? This feels like a "political" answer, very disappointing.

Return to “HTML5”