Building app for both standalone & client/server - which Db?

Creating desktop or client-server database solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jon@armasoft.co.uk

Building app for both standalone & client/server - which Db?

Post by jon@armasoft.co.uk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:40 am

Hi,

I'm about to start building my first app in livecode (conversion from Alpha Anywhere) and am wondering which is the best db engine to use...

The app will be available in both single & multi user versions and I intend to use SQLite for the single user version. As far as I can see, of the native supported database engines in livecode, postgresql appears to be closest to SQLite with regards to syntax etc.

Target is to produce one code base for both versions, with few or no 'if/then' constructs to cater for syntactical differences.

Any suggestions, pointers, comments received with thanks.

Dixie
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Building app for both standalone & client/server - which

Post by Dixie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:44 am

I guess it is a personal choice... mine is sqlIte and mySql... both work well with liveCode and if there are little bits that you are getting confused about with your sql syntax then the w3s sql school tutorial is a great help...:-)

jon@armasoft.co.uk

Re: Building app for both standalone & client/server - which

Post by jon@armasoft.co.uk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:03 am

Wow - quick response - thanks!

I'm concerned that MySQL syntax is a little 'non-standard' which will mean having to code lots of exceptions to test if running the standalone or client/server version. I understand Postgres is much closer to SQLite with very few differences in the SQL I'd need to code. I'll delve deeper into the web to see if I can get a definitive answer.

Return to “Databases”