MySQL useSSL

Creating desktop or client-server database solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Saman Sjr.

MySQL useSSL

Post by Saman Sjr. » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:54 am

Hi,

revOpenDatabase for MySQL have an useSSL option flag.
If i want to use this feature on my LC desktop application, where i have to put the CA certificate, Client Key and Client Certificate files ?

LC Community 7.0.6 - Windows 7 Pro 32Bit

Kind regard's
SS

rca

Re: MySQL useSSL

Post by rca » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:51 am

Any response to this?
I have the same problem
I have regularly used the normal username/passsword authentication for many months

this is related to the MySQL topic - Configure Secure Connections
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en ... tions.html

My client has given me a client side certificate (a "xx.crt" file) and a key file ("yy.pem")
For using the MySQL Client software (SQLyog), I have to configure on my local machine
for SSL - the "CA Certificate " location
for "Use Authentication" - "Client Key" location, "Client Certificate" location

I tried using
set the sslCertificates to xx -- path to the folder containing the above files
I also tried naming the files individually in "set the sslCertificates to x"

I set the "useSSL" parameter to true in revOpenDatabase
It seems to me that we are talking about "Client side certificate authentication" as well as SSL encryption, so it's not clear to me if they are both supported. or just SSL
i.e. in MySQL section noted above, the option "To require that a client certificate also be specified, create the account using the REQUIRE X509 option. " - does not seem to be supported in LiveCode?

sphere

Post by sphere » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi,

maybe this is above my level, but...i also have my own HTTPS website and i maintain one for an Dutch War Veterans group which is also HTTPS, so both use free SSL certificates.
I can connect to both MYSQL databases, but i had to add my IP address to MYSQL management in DirectAdmin (or whatever Admin util your host has).
Now only my PC can access this database (and of course the CMS whcih runs there).

If i need to have other PC's from users on other IP locations to access the Database (i made some programs using LC to manage some users info) then i let it communicate via so called middleware. The LC program communicates via PHP files on the server with the Database. This way the Mysql server sees it as local. So then you don't need any SSL certificates for this.

Maybe this helps?

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:53 pm

sphere wrote:If i need to have other PC's from users on other IP locations to access the Database (i made some programs using LC to manage some users info) then i let it communicate via so called middleware. The LC program communicates via PHP files on the server with the Database. This way the Mysql server sees it as local. So then you don't need any SSL certificates for this.
^ This.

As a general rule, you do not want to expose a database directly to the open Internet. Any middleware (PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, LiveCode, etc.) can provide a REST API for your app to work with which protects your database by limiting allowable actions, filtering/sanitizing inputs, etc., while also making it easier to build clients to work with that API.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Databases”