email

Bringing the internet highway into your project? Building FTP, HTTP, email, chat or other client solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

snowfun
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

email

Post by snowfun » Tue May 29, 2007 8:48 am

I am interested in using Revolution as a delivery platform for online & mobile learning. I have done the easy stuff (ie reading content from html documents, handling images, developing MCQs & case study activities etc) but have reached a limit of my technical ability... if this project is to continue beyond providing some fun development work, I need to be able to send data (ie results of assignments, MCQs etc) to an email address. This should take place automatically within the Rev application (ie not by opening the user's email app, populating the field and getting the user to press [send]). This will handle authentication, grading etc. I have read various posts about sending email but have to confess to some confusion... does anyone have an easy-to-understand AND implement (!) script/stack to assist? Might this be something worth developing?

I hope that this can be done within the horizon of my technical abilities as I don't have Rev support at Uni (nor do I have access to CGIs or anything of that ilk...)

I look forward to your help!

Tim

BvG

Post by BvG » Tue May 29, 2007 3:15 pm

There are two user generated libraries that can send e-mails directly to a server.

One is from Sarah Troz: http://www.troz.net/Rev/libraries.php
The other was made by Shaosean, but she does not host it anymore, so you need to get it from Chip Walters altuit.com (search for smtp): http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRev/Downloads.htm

Alternatively there's a even stranger way of sending mails, withouth any server involved, Andre Garzia has devised this method. But as with most things he did, there is no place to actually find a working stack or implementation of it. (he talkled about it on the use list some years ago
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

snowfun

thanks BvG!

Post by snowfun » Tue May 29, 2007 9:16 pm

and now, after taking everything I read on board, I realise that "email" wasn't really the optimum solution. RevBrowser enables me to embed html pages and provide navigation buttons to allow the user to work through the case study (during which they are presented with a number of options: I need to know the pathway the student took). At the conclusion of the case study, all I need is a [submit] button on a web form which calls a CGI script and sends the form data to my email address. I have all these components but the [submit] button doesn't appear to function...

...ideas?

Cheers!

Tim

alex298

how to send loop emails with SMTPlibrary.rev

Post by alex298 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:24 pm

Hello,

I download the SMTPlibrary.rev from Sarah's Revolution Page. I wish to use this library to send multiple emails. Actually the help file also mentioned that "but this can be set up as a loop to proces a list of outgoing emails."

I studied the codes and trial for many hours. However I still have no any idea where should I insert the loop so as to process a list of outgoing emails.

Please help.

Thanks and best regards
Alex
Nice to meet all of you.

Return to “Internet”