are there attempts to develop a revBrowser compatible with Linux ?

Bringing the internet highway into your project? Building FTP, HTTP, email, chat or other client solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Re: are there attempts to develop a revBrowser compatible with Linux ?

Post by bogs » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:31 pm

kresten wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm
.I see no access to older versions of chrome, any recommendations?
Yes, I am sorry I gave poor directions on installing Chrome itself. You want to do this through synaptic, which will download and install the correct version for your system.

In your menu you should see 'system tools', synaptic should be listed there.
Selection_003.png
Synaptic
When it opens, your looking for 'chromium-browser', click on the box, mark to install. It should pull any dependencies needed automatically.
Selection_004.png
Chrome installer
Just for future reference, almost any software you could possibly need for your distribution should be searched for in synaptic first, almost every distribution packages and tests those and they will only ever put what your system can use in there. Let me know if you hit any snags :)

kresten

Post by kresten » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:38 pm

Oh, thank you for your effort, it looked so promising,.....but then access to run the Synaptic Package Manager
required an authentication but doesn't accept my password. I searched in various ways, and found a trace in ubuntuforum, describing such a problem and I quote: gconf-editor >apps>gksu>sudo-mode : ticking it solved the problem.
It seems that the authentication dialogue as default may demand a root-password
I can't find how to reach the gconf-editor>apps>gksu>sudo-mode.
Nor how instead to produce a root-password

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Yes, you do need the admin password to install *almost* anything for linux, again because the changes are system wide.

Did you set this box up, or was it setup previous to your getting it? During the installation is when passwords would have been created. Not knowing the root password is going to seriously hamper your use of a linux box, but using 'sudo' might get you past it, if you know your login password *and* are a part of the sudo group.

In this case, you would open a terminal and type in 'sudo synaptic'. The next line will ask for your account password, if sudo is setup (most every 'buntu I ever saw) then you should see synaptic show up.

Short of that working, I don't know what to tell you. I'd hate to say wipe the box and install again, if you have important or longtime stuff on it. It is doable, but I'd certainly recommend backing up at least your home folders and making a list of programs you find useful before going that route.

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Just to refresh my memory about 'buntu installs (you'll have to excuse me on this, I run several different types of installs a day), I re-ran the installer. Indeed, your user password should have sufficed for synaptic, as the various 'buntu's just skip creating a root password to enable sudo in Debian, as per the Debian manual for install.
Selection_003.png
So when you launch synaptic, it should just require whatever you put in for your user password on the above screen.

Not all linux installers act this way, but in 'buntu of any stripe as far as I know, whenever you are asked for the admin password, it should just be your own password.

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by mwieder » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 pm

Yes, the user password should be sufficient. This shouldn't need a separate root password.
Long shot here, but if the user account isn't in the sudoers file then that still won't work. The bad news is that running visudo to edit the sudoers file requires root access.

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:14 pm

And of course, adding users to the sudo'ers list per the terminal requires the same. It is really going to come down to who set the machine up and the steps used to create the users groups. Like I said, I'd hate to recommend a reinstall without more information.

@mwieder - Vi ?!?! EMACS MAN!! (ducking out from the resulting flame war) Image

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:00 pm

bogs wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:14 pm
@mwieder - Vi ?!?! EMACS MAN!! (ducking out from the resulting flame war) Image
You can both punch me: I'm still using nano. :)
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:33 pm

Nah, I wouldn't punch you for that, I always figured you for a Vim (/ v ɪ m /; a contraction of Vi IMproved) guy though :wink:

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:51 pm

bogs wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:33 pm
Nah, I wouldn't punch you for that, I always figured you for a Vim (/ v ɪ m /; a contraction of Vi IMproved) guy though :wink:
Good guess: I did look at both, and I have begun learning Vim.

The only problem has been that I need to edit text so frequently I haven't had time to spend learning either of the ultra-modal editors, which of course is a good reason to learn them but since neither offers any visual reinforcement it's not a quick learn. And all the while, Nano is easily available and reasonably competent, so I keep putting off doing things efficiently just to get them done. :)
Richard Gaskin

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:00 pm

Considering all the choices, you ever looked at Geany?

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:21 pm

bogs wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:00 pm
Considering all the choices, you ever looked at Geany?
I use it on the desktop daily, but for servers I need a CLUI.
Richard Gaskin

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 am

bogs-

I've looked at geany, but I have atom and sublimetext. what's so special about Yet Another (Yawn) Text Editor?

...and I'm in the same boat with Richard. Nano usually for quick tasks. I don't have the muscle memory yet to be good at vim/emacs/whatever, but I'm mostly a cli guy.

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:19 am

Well, I had typed a really long reply, and lost it due to a hiccup :? heh.

Much shorter version -
I don't know that you would want to look at it, I am only curious about whether people know about it. I started using it years ago, it was simpler then than it is now, but it is still simple compared to Sublime. More like Mousepad on steroids.

It isn't just a text editor, like Sublime it is more like a multi-IDE, with custom configurable build settings. When I put Atom on my system, I commented as how I liked the Lc text plugin that was made for it. What I didn't comment about was how using it was after the initial impressions. It started off fast enough, but slowed down immensely over a very short coding period (for me anyway) to the point that opening a menu took 3-10 seconds (no joke, I actually timed it).

Atom didn't last long on my system after a few attempts to assess what was going on with it. Sublime stayed, but I think it might be a lot more than I need and fancier than I look for.

Geany seems to hit a sweet spot for me between the two. Simpler than Sublime, as far as I can tell though does everything I want it to in spades. No plugin for Lc for it (that I know of), but making one seems easy enough so I may take a whack at it as time permits.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:22 am

Ah. Thanks.

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:46 am

I will apologize to Kresten for steering this thread in a LONG diversion, I hope he saw the previous reply :oops:

Interesting side note, Lc 8.1.9 installed no issue on anti-X with only 512mb ram, and ran pretty snappily as well. I will add though that anti-X might not be every-ones cup of tea, while I find it easy enough to get along in, it isn't as polished as say one of the 'buntu flavors.

On the other side of that, though, it is lightning fast to use, even in a low resource system.

Return to “Internet”