are there attempts to develop a revBrowser compatible with Linux ?

Bringing the internet highway into your project? Building FTP, HTTP, email, chat or other client solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

kresten

are there attempts to develop a revBrowser compatible with Linux ?

Post by kresten » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:07 am

The rev browser is a crucial aspect of my project: The phenomenalog personal diary. I have developed it with a launcher, for mac and for windows, but now discovered, testing om Ubuntu and exploring the dictionary and the forum, that the browser substack doesn't work in Ubuntu.
I cannot imagine that the livecode developers have given up trying to solve this problem. So maybe they have some pre-release version, I could try ?

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: are there attempts to develop a revBrowser compatible with Linux ?

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 am

You can search for and follow bugs reported against the browser widget on Linux through the searchable bug DB:
http://quality.livecode.com/buglist.cgi ... t_id=80267
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

livecodeali
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by livecodeali » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:20 am

Hi kresten,
I presume you are using the browser widget? Have you tried using it in 9 DP 11? What desktop environment do you use?

Also, it's worth trying the workaround of launching without your locale's collation rules:

Code: Select all

LC_ALL= LC_NUMERIC=C "~/.runrev/components/livecodecommunity-9.0.0-dp-11.x86_64/livecodecommunity.x86_64"
several users found (http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16848) that this fixed their issues, and I *think* they all have non-english locale settings by default. It seems CEF does not like these.

kresten

Post by kresten » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:31 pm

I has hoped for a clear YES or NO to my question.
Referring to "Widget" -which is not in the dictionary, I dont understand.
I am working with a stack "InetBrowser" as a substack, which permits user to create user-labeable ( reporting) link butttons in another stack "MyCyberspace".
These functions work on launcher driven standalones both for Mac and Windows. If they can't somehow be implemented for a linux/ubuntu environment, I am left with the choice between totally abandoning that platform or creating a crippled version.

livecodeali
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by livecodeali » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:14 pm

I am happy to answer with a clear yes or no, my post was an attempt to clarify what version you are using and how you are creating a browser in order to answer that question.

In versions prior to LiveCode 8, the only way to create a browser was to use revBrowserOpen and revBrowserOpenCEF (the revBrowser external). revBrowserOpen was never supported (and will never be) on Linux. I believe revBrowserOpenCEF is supported on Linux from LiveCode 8, however the best option is to use the browser widget object from the tools palette.
Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 15.10.51.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 15.10.51.png (24.42 KiB) Viewed 10252 times
You may already be doing this, but that is why I was asking.

Anyway, the browser widget is officially supported on various Linux distros in various versions with various desktop environments (hence why I asked what desktop environment you use), but there have been some issues with it through a number of releases.

The short answer to your question is YES I think, depending on what specific question you are asking. I suggest you download LC 9 DP 11 and try dragging out a browser object (as pictured)

MaxV

Post by MaxV » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:33 pm

Install livecode 9 dp 6, then use this script to launch it:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
export LC_ALL= LC_NUMERIC=C
export LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1 
/opt/livecode/livecodecommunity-9.0.0-dp-6.x86_64/livecodecommunity.x86_6
This is the only way I know to work the widget browser on Linux. Further versions don't work.
Livecode Wiki: http://livecode.wikia.com
My blog: https://livecode-blogger.blogspot.com
To post code use this: http://tinyurl.com/ogp6d5w

livecodeali
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by livecodeali » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 am

Further versions don't work for certain distros with certain desktop environments with certain collation settings.

kresten

Post by kresten » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:21 pm

I succeeded installing lubuntu 16.0.4, and downloading an LC for linux, but no access to newer than 7.0.6. So I have an installer for that one on my desktop, but when I click it I am questioned for which application I will use to open it Does it just have to be moved to another place in the system? Or other advice ?
It may not enable the browser part, but I want to examine my application in such an environment and its launcher-driven standaloning.

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:01 pm

It should be just a missing permission Kresten.

Right click on the installer file, go to properties, go to the tab that says 'permissions', and check the box that allows this file to run as a program.

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:19 pm

Here is a very detailed installation instruction (it is for 8.1.3, meanwhile you could use 8.1.8 or 8.1.9-rc2).

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.ph ... 51#p153351

I tested recently a lot with Ubuntu/Lubuntu/Xubuntu using 8.1.8 or 8.1.9-rc2 (the latter has less bugs on linux). Tested stacks that use the browser widget. You could try these here

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=29018

The stacks using the browser widget do NOT run with LC 9: The browser widgets has serious bugs with LC 9 if you do more than surfing websites (it may don't appear at all or may even hang LC).

The browser widget has a native layer that draws on linux above everything else, also LC dialogs. So make sure you move the window with the browser widget if you are expecting a modal dialog which may be below the browser window.
shiftLock happens

kresten

Post by kresten » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:02 pm

I followed Bogs instruction,Thank you, but after sat the file as executable I am asked for a passeword.
I tried my old linux admin password, not accepted.
Further I tried the long very specific password, which permitted me to download the LCinstaller, but here it is not accepted.
I looked into the detailed installation instructions for 8.1.3, but found no cue for my situation with 7.0.6
Any solution ?

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:15 pm

The password your being asked for (if you followed the default installer without changes) is the admin password for linux, what you would use if you entered 'sudo' to elevate your priviledges on linux, or if you opened synaptic (a package installer on linux) to install something.

It isn't required for doing a local installation for yourself, though, you can work around this in the installer by installing only for yourself. This type of installation will install Lc into your own home directory, where you have write permissions and don't require a password.
Selection_003.png

kresten

Post by kresten » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Thank you, It seemed to work for me, until I met the final activation dialog. Here I found out, that the @ key couldn't produce the character. It took me a couple of days - and help from ubuntudenmark forum - to find out, that I can produce that character with shift ø. Returning to the executable installer and going through the first steps, agreeing to the conditions and specifying "for me" strangely the activation dialogue doesn't appear anymore.Several attempts without result.
What can I do ?

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Is this a community version, or commercial? If it is community, you don't need to go through any activation, there is a 'skip it' during the last part of installation. If it is a commercial version, you would see the 're-license' under the help menu (if this is what you are trying to reach).

kresten

Post by kresten » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:54 pm

I found, that it was the commercial 7-0-6. I succeeded the installation, and found, as predicted, that no browser access was possible there.
I then downloaded the community version 8.1.8 and specified the installer as executable. but nothing happens when I ask it to execute.
I see the option to execute in terminal, I dont understand what it implies. Just clicking it gives no visible result.
Any advice ?

Return to “Internet”