unzipped standalone won't open

Bringing the internet highway into your project? Building FTP, HTTP, email, chat or other client solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

watsonjk

unzipped standalone won't open

Post by watsonjk » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:30 am

I'm zipping the app with a registered copy of Zipit and ftping it. Receiver can download and unzip but nothing happens when it is double clicked. Both using Macs running OSX5.5.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Jim

sfitzjava

Post by sfitzjava » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:04 am

Which file and where did you get the zipped up standalone?
Are you trying to run a server script? Possible try something like

#!./Standalone
put "hello world"

Save above text as file "test.rev" with settings of 775 (chmod 775 test.rev)
then execute it and see if that works.
(note: first line should have the name of the standalone app engine)

If you meant someone gave you a standalone application, then you may need either the revolution player, or they may not have packaged it up correctly.

You meant Mac OS X 10.5.5 right?

-Shawn

watsonjk

Post by watsonjk » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:39 am

Shawn,

Thanks for replying. I'll try to answer your questions but I'm afraid you've gone over my head. Maybe you can guide me how to find answers?

1. The rev file is one I've programmed saved as standalone and zipped.

2. I don't know what a server script is. Sorry.

3. Is the test you're suggesting something I would save as a standalone? How would I do the settings?

4. Maybe I didn't "package it up correctly" because I don't know what that is. Can you tell me how I should?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Jim

Lynn P.

Post by Lynn P. » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi Jim ~

It may be something in the standalone settings that is incorrect. Maybe check some of these things out in the Standalone Settings under the File menu...

Under the "OS X" icon...
Is the end user you sent the zipped standalone using an Intel or PowerPC Mac? Did you check "Build For": Universal in the standalone settings?

Under the "General" icon...
Did you choose "Search for required inclusions..." or did you select individual inclusions for your application? If the latter... perhaps you left out a necessary library inclusion. Which inclusions are being added to your application? Perhaps one of them is not working properly on the end user's Mac because a component is missing on their end.

Under the "Stacks" icon and "Copy Files" icon...
Is your application a single stack or does it include more than one stack. If the latter, perhaps it wasn't added included in or perhaps external files that your application relies on were not included.

On the receiving end after unzipping the file, does your end user see either the OSX generic application icon or your own application icon you added to your Rev bundle on their Mac or do they just see a blank icon?
If they check the file size of the unzipped Rev application by choosing "Get Info" from the desktop's File menu, is the file size the same as the uncompressed file size of the standalone on your Mac?

You might try creating a one button simple test application (like a button that says "Hi" when clicked on) and send that to the end user. Send it zipped and unzipped and see if either or neither works on their end. That would narrow down the problem a bit.

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:12 pm

Dear Jim,

You don't say that your standalone runs fine on your own Mac. Did you check this?

Why don't you use Mac OS X's built-in zip feature? Just choose Compress from the File menu in the Finder. Does that make a difference?

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

watsonjk

Thanks!

Post by watsonjk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:20 am

Mark, Lynn and Shawn,

Thanks for talking me through this. The fix turned out to be the easiest one - Mark's suggestion I use the "Compress" feature of OSX. I had no idea it was there. Ironic that the problem involved wasting money on something that I already had.

It was also helpful to know what the standalone settings should be, Lynn. They were correct but now I know what to check if I have any other problems. IF?? HA!!

Anyway, thank you for your generous willingness to unstick me.

Jim

Return to “Internet”