Where to start? Online classifieds app

Bringing the internet highway into your project? Building FTP, HTTP, email, chat or other client solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

madmaxpowers

Where to start? Online classifieds app

Post by madmaxpowers » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:41 am

Hello,
I am brand new to livecode and pretty new to all aspects of apps, games, IT ect.. I honestly started with LiveCode for a specific app I want to make. I would like to make an app similar to craigslist in a way. The sellers will be able to post what they have for sale, buyers can search and then respond through a private message. I would also like login feature, some push notifications and a "do not disturb type button". I am hoping someone can help me understand where to start. I know a tiny bit about server side and client side relations but not enought to what I would use here Coud server, MySql I have no idea honestly. From that point any livecode related links would be great! I was gonna start at the beginning of the internet and work my way through till i figured out what i needed, but it turns out its really big! I will really appreciate ANY help!

Klaus

Re: Where to start? Online classifieds app

Post by Klaus » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:31 am

Hi madmaxpowers,

1. welcome to the forum! :D
2. Do yourself a favour and learn something about the basics of Livecode first,
this will surely make your life easier later.

I can recommend to work through these stacks, mybe start with stack "Controls":
http://www.hyperactivesw.com/revscriptc ... ences.html

Best

Klaus

madmaxpowers

Post by madmaxpowers » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:11 pm

Thanks for the response Klaus,
I appreciate the helpful link. I neglected to mention in my previous post that I am not afraid to work and learn. I am not asking for all the answers. I am hoping that using the description of what I intend to do someone could tell me what I should be working towards. In other words hopefully someon can tell what type of server I am going to want to use and then I could figure out how that works and what I will need to do. In the mean time I am studying the documentation and working the beginner apps to learn the system.
Thanks all for your help.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:49 pm

Hi Max,

well, I am good at Livecode, but not so good at all the internet stuff, so before I give a cheesy advice... :D
I am sure others will chime in and give some more specific answers to your questions.

Best

Klaus

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:04 pm

Not wanting to be discouraging Max, but as Klaus says, you will need a general foundation in LiveCode before you even start thinking about the advanced things you are talking about.
Mobile app deployment has its own set of knowledge requirements, but you are also going to need to be talking about servers and databases, authentication, posting, searching, retrieving and *displaying* results. Datagrids probably - but these are complex too and need an understanding before you can implement them successfully. Laying out and managing your interface, getting things to do what you want.
It's all a bit ambitious - you are going to need a lot of time and effort to get to a stage as a single user that you are only a fraction of the way to professional grade options that are already available: http://open-classifieds.com/clone/craigslist/
Why reinvent the wheel? Well, it would be great to have a LiveCode version that people could use and showcase how great LiveCode is. It's also nice just to learn and understand. But you really need to be quite familiar with general and basic things before you try learning the "whole shebang".

madmaxpowers

Post by madmaxpowers » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:51 pm

Ok thanks to both of you. That is a pretty cool site and I may end up using it for another project. For this project to work it would have to be an app as opposed to a website or a forum. I will definitely be trying to learn all aspects of LiveCode but IMO I learn better figuring stuff out as needed. Any advice on how to move towards my goal would be great.

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Simon » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi Max,
Maybe you'll take to liveCode like a duck to water so here;
http://lessons.runrev.com/m/4071/l/3051 ... e-database
There is your start to databases, nothing about working with servers.
Your first test is seeing if you can figure out how to add new names.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

madmaxpowers

Post by madmaxpowers » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:54 am

Again thanks to all!
I think all poster have valid points and maybe in a way I am putting the carriage in front of the horse. I think the best plan would be to learn some livecode basics while creating my user interface and the interactions between the cards and stack. Then i will try Simons link. I am going to get started ASAP and i will update this thread when i have done both of those.
Thanks for everyones time
And I will still welcome any info or input anyone wants to add

madmaxpowers

Post by madmaxpowers » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:17 am

Update "Hello World!" is done so I can officially start my quest. Also I have been reading through the PDF version of manual which is available in the help section of LiveeCode. There is a section in there I have not read yet it is entitled ""Building a web application" im willing to wager that may have some info that could help with my question of "How to build a web application""

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:49 am

Hi Max,
As you go through this quest remember "The Dictionary is you friend"!
You may have an idea (eg "I want the top of this field to be at the bottom of this other field") LiveCode is great at the English language. Search the Dictionary.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

madmaxpowers

Post by madmaxpowers » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:25 am

Thanks for the tip Simon. I think that will be invaluable in the long run. Last night I designed UI for the first card and today I continued reading the PDF manual. For me I think this will help a lot. I'm quickly learning what can be done with LiveScript once I know what I can do I can just use the dictionary to help me remember how. I will probably try to finish the rest of UI on the cards tonight.
Thanks for the help

Return to “Internet”