Web app newbie question

Bringing the internet highway into your project? Building FTP, HTTP, email, chat or other client solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dsquance

Web app newbie question

Post by dsquance » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:39 pm

Hi,
I'm attempting to get an app to work online, and while the opening page displays OK on the test page, the button does nothing. Three questions: is a higher version of Livecode than 4.5.3 required for the plug-in which downloaded on the first try? is something other than "go", "open" or "toplevel" required to simply go to a substack? and is perhaps, the test page only to display the opening page and doesn't, in fact, do anything anyway?

Thanks,
Dave

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Web app newbie question

Post by Mark » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:20 am

Hi Dave,

The plugin is dead. Don't use it.

Having said that, if you still want to experiment with it, you need to make sure that your browser is able to run the plugin. The plugin won't run in a 64 bit environment for example. You also need to have a license for building revlets, which is no longer available from the RunRev store. You don't need a higher version of LiveCode, but I wonder if some of the newer commands, such as the adjusted visual effects, work in recent versions of LiveCode (maybe someone else can tell you).

Is the "test page" the website created by the standalone builder? This page should display your stack if the plugin is able to load. Your stack should work normally.

Which button are you talking about exactly? Is this a button that you created yourself? If so, then it means that your stack is displaying correctly and you're probably having a problem with a script. Perhaps you should post the script of that button here.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

dsquance

Re: Web app newbie question

Post by dsquance » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:00 am

Thanks for the reply, Mark.
The plugin is dead. Don't use it.
I'm not sure just what you mean by that. It came up with the expected thing about needing something to run the app, and it all downloaded, etc. as expected.
Having said that, if you still want to experiment with it, you need to make sure that your browser is able to run the plugin. The plugin won't run in a 64 bit environment for example. You also need to have a license for building revlets, which is no longer available from the RunRev store. You don't need a higher version of LiveCode, but I wonder if some of the newer commands, such as the adjusted visual effects, work in recent versions of LiveCode (maybe someone else can tell you).
I'm using Firefox 16.0.2 on a Mac. It mentioned the 32 bit requirement, and that adjustment was made. As to a licence, the standalone builder produced a revlet. Does it only produce a neutered one if the builder has no license? I don't recall expressly ordering that capability. When I upgraded from 2.? some time back, I had no thought of needing it.

I
s the "test page" the website created by the standalone builder? This page should display your stack if the plugin is able to load. Your stack should work normally.
Yes, the "test page" is what the standalone builder created. It displayed the only page of the main stack and it appeared as expected.
Which button are you talking about exactly? Is this a button that you created yourself? If so, then it means that your stack is displaying correctly and you're probably having a problem with a script. Perhaps you should post the script of that button here.
The button is simply a navigation button:

on mouseup
go stack "puzzles"
end mouseup

The stack "Puzzles" is a substack of the one which displays at the beginning. As I mentioned, I tried "open" and "toplevel" as well as "go" to no avail.

Are you saying no one builds stacks to run online anymore, or is there another approach than the plugin? I understand I may need to upgrade to proceed any further, either to LC 5.x or to add another module. In either case I may just drop the whole idea. I'll just have to content myself with not having any wider audience for my simple little crossword puzzles. I don't imagine there's enough money in it to justify a further purchase from Rev.

Thanks again,
Dave

Return to “Internet”