bwmilby wrote: ↑
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:40 pm
Taking a 1.5MB hunk of text and importing it into the field as htmltext is causing the issue. Using text isn't any better (although it looks better - same as pasting source into Geany). It still took 55 seconds on my machine to display the LiveCode source. [I wrote this before seeing what @bogs had written in the previous couple of posts]
As you saw in my previous post, taking a 1.5 MB hunk of text and importing it into a field shouldn't have any impact whatsoever. It takes seconds to put it in the clipboard, it takes seconds to paste it into a text editor (on my machine, anyway, Richard must have some anomaly going on there heh), and it takes literally seconds to do exactly the same process in MUCH older versions of Lc.
We're not talking about slamming 500 megs of text into it, and even if we were, I think +/- 3 minutes is far too long, especially once it is all in memory in one form or another and all your doing is updating the field.
One question... what are we trying to test by getting the LC site raw text and manually setting the htmltext for a field? Even apart from the time issue, the field can't handle the web site HTML. All kinds of CSS "stuff" is left before you even see any content. Are we trying to use a field to "clean"/"simplify" HTML?
Actually, what started this whole test was a post by Mariasole, which I started attempting to solve in 6.x, my default IDE for most things, cross pollinated by an https question posted around the same time. The https question triggered going through several versions of the IDE, running simple tests.
I didn't notice any huge time delays until I reached 8.1.6. In that thread, Richard suggested using 9.0. I felt my mind shear under the bearing of his Jedi will and.....oh wait, thats a different story
You could dump large variable like that to a file and view externally as one option, but that would need to be added to the code beforehand. [I think the clipboard is a pretty good way too.]
I was going to post an updated stack, but now I need to go back and make some changes
One thing I find funny, Linux in a VM is slightly faster than my Mac host on this test.
Heh, the stack is mostly a starting point to the projects I mentioned above. The part that really intrigued me and the reason I kept using it was that with the simple (initially what, 3 lines?) code and controls of what I believe to be the least computationally challenging thing on the planet managed to, on both of my machines, completely blow 8 and 9 up, since as I say, I don't see *any* of these issues in the much older IDEs, not even in MC. I wouldn't have thought too much would need to be changed in a functioning field metaphor control, but I guess something must have been.
You've already put more thought into this test than I probably ever would have
since I spend the far greater bulk of my time in the past, with all its warts, where (unless I fix it myself) the warts will remain constant.
I don't mind peeking at the newer versions once in a while, but I sure couldn't ever put up with all this stuff on any kind of permanent basis.