Bug 16388 - A Major Issue for Me

If you find an issue in LiveCode but are having difficulty pinning down a reliable recipe or want to sanity-check your findings with others, this is the place.

Please have one thread per issue, and try to summarize the issue concisely in the thread title so others can find related issues here.

Moderators: heatherlaine, Klaus, FourthWorld, robinmiller, kevinmiller

keithglong
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Bug 16388 - A Major Issue for Me

Post by keithglong » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:40 am

Hi All,

Back in 2015 I posted a bug regarding dragData within LiveCode. Specifically, the problem is that files cannot be dragged out of a LiveCode app on a Mac if the file paths (i.e., folder names and/or file names) contain spaces.

Code: Select all

set the dragdata["files"] to "/Users/MyName/Desktop/Drag Test/beach.jpg" 
(Will not work--there is a space in Drag Test.)

set the dragdata["files"] to "/Users/MyName/Desktop/DragTest/the beach.jpg"
(Will not work--there is a space in the beach)

set the dragdata["files"] to "/Users/MyName/Desktop/DragTest/mybeach.jpg" 
(WILL work--there aren't any spaces in the file path.)

This bug is yet to be fixed, and I even followed up in 2016. You can read the bug post/thread here:

http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16388

According to Panos back in 2015:
Hi Keith,

Thank you for submitting this report and providing a sample stack. We confirm this is a bug. It seems that this regression was introduced at some point between LiveCode 7.0.4 and 7.0.5.

We will update you when the status of this report changes.

Best regards,
Panos
I was just wondering if anyone has figured out any kind of workaround? I have several applications that I have spent a lot of "blood, sweat, and tears" developing that depend on being able to drag out files. And because dragging out files is such a basic/common aspect of computing, I am at a loss as to why this hasn't been fixed/addressed yet? (And these days, as I am sure you can attest, many users have folder and file names with spaces in them).

Livecode 7.0.3 worked correctly, and per Panos, the problem is a regression... Because LiveCode is moving forward with so many improvements, I am concerned as to why this issue has not yet been fixed? I have continued to work on my projects expecting this issue to be rectified, but now I am getting a bit concerned. Any thoughts/comments/recommendations are most welcome.

Sincerely,

Keith "Boo" Long
Gulf Breeze, Florida

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: Bug 16388 - A Major Issue for Me

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi Keith,

I have submitted a PR that should fix the problem, tested locally and it works for me:

https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/6302

If the PR is approved, the fix will appear in LC 8.1.10 RC-1.

Best,
Panos
--

keithglong

Post by keithglong » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:06 pm

Hi Panos,

Thank you sir! I appreciate it. And by the way... When will this fix be incorporated into LiveCode 9? (I am mostly using LiveCode 9 these days.)

(And just to clarify, the problem has to do with spaces anywhere in the file path--not just the filename.)

Best regards,

Keith "Boo" Long
Gulf Breeze, Florida

keithglong

Post by keithglong » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:46 am

I just posted yet another bug (along with a sample stack) regarding the dragging out of files on a Mac.

See: http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20925

Sincerely,

Keith "Boo" Long
Gulf Breeze, Florida

Return to “Bug Triage”