LC 8.1.2 - Icons not showing in Standalone

If you find an issue in LiveCode but are having difficulty pinning down a reliable recipe or want to sanity-check your findings with others, this is the place.

Please have one thread per issue, and try to summarize the issue concisely in the thread title so others can find related issues here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

megumi
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

LC 8.1.2 - Icons not showing in Standalone

Post by megumi » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:16 am

I maintain a small in-house program which I developed some years ago for the college where I teach. I can open/edit the project with either LiveCode 8.0.2 and LiveCode 8.1.2 (both community edition), but the standalone made by 8.1.2 does not show MetaCard compatible icons I use for various buttons on main stack and substacks. If I make a standalone with 8.0.2, all button icons show properly. This seems like a bug in LiveCode 8.1.x. If it is, I hope someone can fix this. (I develop on Mac, and the standalone app is used on Linux, Mac and Windows.)

LiveCode_Panos

Re: LC 8.1.2 - Icons not showing in Standalone

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:51 am

Hi megumi,

I am using LC 8.1.3 RC-1 Indy on Mac, and I created a simple stack with a button that has a MetaCard compatible icon. I created a standalone for Mac, and the icon is shown as expected.

Do you see this bug in LC 8.1.3 RC-1? If yes, I suggest you file a bug report at http://quality.livecode.com/ and include a sample stack that demonstrates the problem.

Best,
Panos
--

megumi

Post by megumi » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks, Panos, for your suggestion. I have just started downloading the LC 8.1.3 RC1 community edition. It'll take a while with my internet connection, but when it's done, I'll try your suggestion.

For now, let me upload a sample stack (made on Mac with LC 8.1.2 community). I made a standalone for Mac and for Linux 64 bit. I tried it on my Mac (macOS 10.12.3) and Linux (Mint 18.1 Xfce 64 bit), with the same result of icon not showing.

I took a screenshot of how the stack appears in the LC 8.1.2 development environment and another of how the standalone appears on Mac, so I'm uploading them here, too.

Megumi
Attachments
Sample.zip
Zip archive of sample stack to demonstrate the problem.
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
In-IDE.png
How the sample stack appears in LC8.1.2 environment.
Standalone.png
How standalone appears on my Mac.

LiveCode_Panos

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi Megumi,

Thank you for the sample stack. It looks like you have uncovered a bug:

Using your stack in LC 8.1.2 Community on Mac:

1. building a standalone *just for Mac* results in the standalone having the icon as expected.
2. building a standalone for Mac, Windows and Linux results in the standalone (tested only the Mac one) NOT having the icon.

So a workaround is to build for one platform at a time :)

Would you mind filing a bug report at http://www.quality.livecode.com/ ?

Best,
Panos
--

megumi

Post by megumi » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:38 pm

Hello Panos,

Thank you for confirming that the same problem can be observed by you and for the further detective work that the problem occurs only when standalone app is made for Mac plus Linux and/or Windows at the same time. I tried your workaround solution of making a standalone only for Mac, and I confirmed that the icon showed properly. However, the same workaround does not work for Linux platform. When I made a standalone only for Linux, the app did not show the icon.

I tried LC 8.1.3 rc1, and found that the problem is exactly the same as with LC 8.1.2.

By the way, when I use LC 8.0.2, everything works as expected and standalone show icons correctly, even when I make standalone for multiple platforms at once.

I filed a bug report as you suggested.(Bug 19215) Thank you for your help. I hope the development team will be able to fix this issue before finalising 8.1.3.

Megumi

LiveCode_Panos

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:23 pm

Hi megumi,

I have updated the bug report. To make the workaround work when building for "Linux", you have to do 2 separate Linux builds:

- One just for "Linux" (32 bit)
- One just for "Linux x64"

Checking both "Linux" and "Linux x64" is like building for 2 platforms, thus the bug reappears.

Best,
Panos
--

Return to “Bug Triage”