Appcrash when compiled in LiveCode but not RunRev

If you find an issue in LiveCode but are having difficulty pinning down a reliable recipe or want to sanity-check your findings with others, this is the place.

Please have one thread per issue, and try to summarize the issue concisely in the thread title so others can find related issues here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

studawg66

Appcrash when compiled in LiveCode but not RunRev

Post by studawg66 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:52 pm

We have a program we developed years ago to run on Mac and Windows, and the last time the code was updated and standalone app generated was when Runtime Revolution 3.5 was the latest stable platform...or at least the version we used back then. Recently I took the same source code and created a standalone Windows and Mac app using LiveCode Community 7.0.1. The program opens just fine, but when the program tries to open a port in listen mode, the app crashes. This happens with both Win and Mac versions. So I took this same source code and created the apps again under an old copy of Runtime Revolution 3.5 we had on an old Mac Xserve in our lab and both standalone apps worked just fine in OSX and Win7. So the problem is not with the source code.

What could have changed between RunRev3.5 and LC7.0.1 that would cause the created apps to crash? I would rather not do future development on RunRev3.5, but that is my only option right now.

sturgis
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Appcrash when compiled in LiveCode but not RunRev

Post by sturgis » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:47 pm

Do you have a password protected stack as part of your app? Livecode community doesn't support password protected stacks anymore.

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bn » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:21 pm

You could also look here:

http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/

they have versions starting with 4.5 to download.

I have not tried them but you could test when your socket problem starts to crash.

From there you could narrow it down to a version that still works.

If you are shure it is socket related you could also post a question with sockets in the title to attract "socket" people. I am not one of those.

Kind regards

Bernd

studawg66

Post by studawg66 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:32 am

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but it looks like I found the fix for this problem while fixing another issue, so I wanted to share!
The problem with the app crashing had to do with the socket reads. In our old code, the stack was reading from the socket about once per second and processing that single message (assuming there was only one). For whatever reason, this worked just fine as a standalone when compiled using RunRev 3.5 (both on Mac and Windows), but if I compiled the same .rev file using LiveCode v7.x the app would crash as soon as it attempted its first socket read. Not sure what changed to cause this, but while working on a different issue ( http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26130) I updated the "read from socket" command to add a "with message xxx" at the end. After that fixed the issue I was working on, I decided to see if I could create the standalone using LiveCode7.1.1 and it worked without any crash!
Again, not sure what changed from 3.5 to 7.x to cause this behavior, but it was definitely related to the socket read commands and adding "with message xxx" to that command did the trick. Glad I do not have to keep reverting back to the old 3.5 version anymore. That is a relief.

Return to “Bug Triage”