Bug in dictionary browser

If you find an issue in LiveCode but are having difficulty pinning down a reliable recipe or want to sanity-check your findings with others, this is the place.

Please have one thread per issue, and try to summarize the issue concisely in the thread title so others can find related issues here.

Moderators: heatherlaine, Klaus, FourthWorld, robinmiller, kevinmiller

pderocco

Bug in dictionary browser

Post by pderocco » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:12 am

If I follow a link from A to B, click < to go back to A, then follow a link from A to C and click < again, it goes back to B, not A. I don't know if this is intentional, but this isn't the usual function of a back button, and it's not what I expect to happen.
Ciao,
Paul

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Bug in dictionary browser

Post by richmond62 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:22 am

That's why LiveCode is marvellous: not what you'd expect.

For expectors there's always C++ and so on.
Expectorant.png

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:12 pm

That is weird behavior. I didn't find it listed in the bug db, but I was able to reproduce it from your description.

bwmilby

Post by bwmilby » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:11 pm

Click the clock icon to visualize what is going on. New entry visits are added to the bottom. When you go back, you are just moving up the list. If you branch to another link, it takes you back to the end of the list (indicated by the forward link being disabled).

Additionally, if you select a link from the list (top) that has already been visited, it is moved to the last entry of the history.

What you are describing would require new visits to be inserted in the list or deleting the entries that were backed past. Safari deletes. I somewhat like that the history doesn’t purge. Another alternative would be to move the currently visible entry to the bottom of the list before adding the clicked link. That would preserve the back arrow and maintain the extended history.

I would not call it a bug. It is working as designed.
Brian Milby

Script Tracker https://github.com/bwmilby/lc-misc/tree/master/ScriptTracker

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:08 pm

Well, I understand the 'why' from your description Brian, but it seems like
bwmilby wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:11 pm
Another alternative would be to move the currently visible entry to the bottom of the list before adding the clicked link. That would preserve the back arrow and maintain the extended history.
would have been a better and less confusing way to approach it. After all, if you are going backwards in almost any application, you expect your last action to be what you see. I can't think of any that don't work the way this dictionary does.

Possibly having the list of visited terms display as a list in the back button, like a 'recently opened' list might be better?

Return to “Bug Triage”