go to stack exits handler

If you find an issue in LiveCode but are having difficulty pinning down a reliable recipe or want to sanity-check your findings with others, this is the place.

Please have one thread per issue, and try to summarize the issue concisely in the thread title so others can find related issues here.

Moderators: heatherlaine, Klaus, FourthWorld, robinmiller, kevinmiller

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: go to stack exits handler

Post by jacque » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:01 pm
But there is a deeper, or at least more sinister issue. The recipe is peculiar to a particular project of mine. A new stack/substack combo does not exhibit the behavior. I do not need a "try" gadget to be able to navigate to another stack and have the controlling handler keep on working.
It would help if they could see your stack. If you don't want to post it in the bug database you can send it to Panos privately.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:02 am

dunbarx wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:28 pm
But don't you think this merits staying in the mainline panes of the forum? I bet most users do not read the stuff in "bug triage"
Ok, I know I am not 'most users', but I have been following this thread all over the places it has been, and will continue to do so!

I tend to agree with your previous assessment, if it works in a new stack as expected, it should work in all stacks, so it must be something going on in your older stack that it doesn't agree with, the why of it is something puzzling though. I like Jacque's clue (error 89 is "no such object"), but it obviously isn't the start center (or is it? da da DUMP dump ~*).

MaxV

Post by MaxV » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:25 am

If you see my recipe on http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20767 , the problem is when a substack is not already loaded by livecode.
So you have to close livecode and reopen again to see this bug.
I don't know why, but for the substacks, if I try to launch it with go, the substack doesn't show.
If I use the project browser the substack appears. Then the go works again.

This bug is only with 8 and 9.
Livecode Wiki: http://livecode.wikia.com
My blog: http://livecodeitalia.blogspot.it
To post code use this: http://tinyurl.com/ogp6d5w

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:16 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:51 pm
I made a new stack and a substack. In a button on the mainstack:
on mouseUp
go stack "untitled 2"
answer random(99)
end mouseUp

Works fine. There is something about my own stack/substack getup that causes this to fail.
I think like Panos, his bug is different, Max. However, in trying to test out your bug here, I found a ... curious thing.

I was using 8.1.6, and wanting my test to be as similar as your rules for it, I tried to copy, then paste the names into the property inspector. I noticed 2 things right off, 1 was if you try to paste from your bug report to the name of the p.i., it creates a 'blank' where you can no longer do anything for the name of that object (stack, button, etc).

2 was I couldn't fix it till Lc closed. wierd, since I have 0 problems doing this in earlier Lc's.

*Edit - on finishing setting up the test as outlined manually, I was also unable to reproduce the result Max received, sub2 opens as expected, Lc 8.1.6 on Linux.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Regardless of the outcome of any sort of analysis of my project, I simply substituted:

Code: Select all

try
  go stack...
end try
for:

Code: Select all

go stack...
My work is done, though I have no idea why. I will send the stack to Panos and see if he can figure out what is going on. If he does, we will learn something, and I can reduce the length of my handler by two lines.

Craig

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Another possible cause for the problem could be a misbehaving plugin, which would also explain why only some people are having trouble. If you rename or move the user Plugins folder, and relaunch Livecode, does the problem go away?

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:58 pm

jacque wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:42 pm
Another possible cause for the problem could be a misbehaving plugin, which would also explain why only some people are having trouble. If you rename or move the user Plugins folder, and relaunch Livecode, does the problem go away?
Well, I can attest to it not being a misbehaving plugin as until I dl'd Andy's TinyIDE this morning, I had just cleaned out mine (other than the defaults that ship with the IDE).

But that is a good suggestion to try.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Another possible cause for the problem could be a misbehaving plugin, which would also explain why only some people are having trouble. I
But then why do some stacks work, and some not?

Craig

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:59 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:47 pm
How about, an erratically psychotic misbehaving plugin, with slightly evil intention of malice?
Curious, did you ask the "why" first, or clear all your plugins temporarily and try it :twisted:

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:03 pm

No idea, we're just flailing around now. But the problem only happens to a subset of users, and plugins are a variable factor.

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:10 pm

bogs wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:58 pm
Well, I can attest to it not being a misbehaving plugin as until I dl'd Andy's TinyIDE this morning, I had just cleaned out mine (other than the defaults that ship with the IDE).
Does that mean you can reproduce the problem?

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:52 pm

You know, on re-reading that, I have no idea why I even put it up to begin with. I think I got confuzzled somewhere along the way, thank you for making me re-read it Jacque :oops: I wasn't able to reproduce the problem using a new stack, or using Max's formula for one, so I think I wrote it thinking about the additional things I noticed replying to Max's post -
bogs wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:16 pm
1 was if you try to paste from your bug report to the name of the p.i., it creates a 'blank' where you can no longer do anything for the name of that object (stack, button, etc).

2 was I couldn't fix it till Lc closed. wierd, since I have 0 problems doing this in earlier Lc's.
Having removed all plugins until I added Andy's, plugins would not have caused these two things. Sorry for the confusion, I'm just so into the spirit of Christmas I guess I felt like giving everyone else my befuddlement :wink:

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:43 pm

Panos has confirmed it is a bug. The "go" command calls the start center, and it should not. He is working on it.

Why that command calls that stack in some cases and not others is still up in the air.

Craig

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:17 pm

That is pretty wierd.

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:12 am

dunbarx wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:43 pm
Panos has confirmed it is a bug. The "go" command calls the start center, and it should not. He is working on it.

Why that command calls that stack in some cases and not others is still up in the air.
Well, that's a weird one. Congrats on finding it, you done good.

Return to “Bug Triage”