Video

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

karmacomposer

Re: Video

Post by karmacomposer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Is there an updated list of EXACTLY which video encoders/decoders/file formats work with Live Code? Also, which ones work the smoothest and best out of the available file formats?

Mike

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Hi Mike,

well, since LiveCode relies heavily (not to say completely) on QuickTime,
all QT supported formats should work fine within LiveCode.

The "smoothest" running format? Sorry, no idea 8)

Best

Klaus

karmacomposer

Post by karmacomposer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Klaus wrote:Hi Mike,

well, since LiveCode relies heavily (not to say completely) on QuickTime,
all QT supported formats should work fine within LiveCode.

The "smoothest" running format? Sorry, no idea 8)

Best

Klaus
Sorry. PC dude here. Quicktime simply SUCKS on PC. So, QT aside, what would be the BEST format for smooth and fast performance on the PC side of things? I thought Mac could read and play WAV and AIFF files? I believe Windows can also play AIFF files. Can Live Code natively playback WAV or AIFF files?

Mike

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi Mike,

uncompressed AIFF and WAV should work without QuickTime, but the playback possibilities are very basic!
Check the "play" command in the LC dictionary.

Unfortunately LiveCode also relies on QuickTime on Windows for more than a basic sound and video support.

Maybe QT sucks on Windows, but I have no problems with it when playing media in Livecode 8)

Best

Klaus

karmacomposer

Post by karmacomposer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Klaus,

I loaded in two WAV files and used the basic play tutorial to play them both. No problems here.

Mike

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi Mike,

I didn't say that there would be problems, only that the possibilities of the "play" command are limited 8)

Best

Klaus

lidia86

play video or not?

Post by lidia86 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie. I've been developing a very simple app for the school I where I am a trainee. It's for children and not for commercial purpose. That's why I use Livecode Community. I'd like to create an app for little children to teach them the animals.
I have 2 cards
Card A (ID 1001) has a button, if I click the button, the app goes to card B (ID 1002).
My very simple code is:

on mouseUp
play audioClip ID 1004
play videoClip "lion.mov"
go to card ID 1002
end mouseUp

I imported as control the sound click.wav and the movie lion.mov (ID 1003) and included both the sources in Copy files... (Standalone application files).
The path of my video is C:\Users\Lidia\Desktop
The path of my sound is C:\Users\Lidia\Desktop
I saved and created the app for windows and everything works.
When I play it on another PC the sound goes, the video not.
How is it possible?
I've read hundreds of posts and tutorials regarding specialFolderPath but in the end nothing worked.
Can you help me and explain how to solve my mistakes as if I were a little and idiot child?
Thank you
Lidia

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:30 pm

When you import a sound or movie, it becomes part of the stack, so file paths don't matter. The entire movie is embedded in the stack file. (If you have more than a few, your stack will get huge.)

Everything in the standalone settings only applies when you are building a standalone application. I'm not clear if you did that. If you just moved the stack itself to another computer, it isn't a standalone. If you have built a standalone app from your stack then the settings are applied, but in this case it still doesn't matter because the movie has been embedded in the stack. There's no reason to copy movie files on disk because they're already embedded. The standalone builder will copy the movies you list in Copy Files anyway, but then you'll have two copies -- one embedded in the stack and a second one one on disk that isn't being used.

Embedded movies are rarely used any more because of the limitations on control and playback. Usually movies are played with a player object, and that does require a file path on disk. Player objects can't play embedded (imported) movies, they have to be a separate file. If you use players, then you do need to include the movies in Copy Files when you build a standalone. Even if you just move a plain stack to another location, the movie will need to be copied to the same relative location too or it won't be found.

Embedded sounds, if they are short, work pretty well if they are in a format LiveCode can play. Sounds in other formats, or longer sounds, generally also should be played with a player object that is referenced to a file name on disk. The same rules apply here too: for a referenced player, the sound file must be in the expected location or it won't be found.

Not sure any of that helps, but maybe it gives you something to start with. Ask again if you need more.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Paul_Malloy

Post by Paul_Malloy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:13 pm

Jacque---

Resurrecting an old thread here, please excuse me but your response is the closest I have found in searching.

I understand how using the player object with a path to a video in a folder allows greater control. However, how would this work with an iOS standalone? Wouldn't it be necessary to embed the video as a control so it is available to the iPhone or iPad?

Secondly, are there any sample scripts using the Play command to make this work with an imported video?

Thanks,

Paul

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Hi Paul,

1. playing imported videos and sounds are NOT supported on mobile!
2. add your video(s) via the "Copy files" tab in the standalone builder settings, then
3. find them here in your standalone (desktop and mobile): specialfolderpath("resources")

Example (mobile only!):

Code: Select all

put specialfolderpath("resources") & "/my_great_video.mp4) into tVideofile
play video tVideofile
Hope that helps!

Best

Klaus

Paul_Malloy

Post by Paul_Malloy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:00 pm

Thanks. That clarifies things.

Return to “Multimedia”