Stretch Goal Kickstarter - Multimedia

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Stretch Goal Kickstarter - Multimedia

Post by bn » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:47 am

Richard,

I just tried in 9.0 DP4 and 8.1.3 RC1 and in both versions alwaysBuffer is broken. I.e. objects that are placed on top of a player are not visible when the player is started. That is the same behavior with alwaysBuffer on or alwaysBuffer off.

in bug report
http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=12811
Martin Knoop speaks of unusable stutter. Now apparently alwaysBuffer is gone completely.

Kind regards
Bernd

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:45 am

Thanks, Bernd. Last test done there was in 2015 - I just added a note there to find out of the reporter has checked this in v9. Let's see if we can get some current data on this.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi Richard,

just made a quick test in LC 9 dp4 and still no joy/alwaysbuffer on macOS!
I added a comment to the bug report.

Best

Klaus

okk

Post by okk » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:57 pm

Thanks Bernd, that felt so good to get some empathy here in the forums! I work on my projects with LC 6.5.1. That's the latest version where alwaysBuffer works for me reasonable well. (Perhaps 6.5.2. is still okay as well...) It is obvious that drawing something on top of a playerobject will reduce playback performance. But hardware gets better and faster, so it is strange that it worked pretty okay with older versions of LC on an early 2011 Macbook pro, but alwaysBuffer doesn't work (meaning incredible poor playback performance) with later versions of LC on a top of the line 2015 iMac which otherwise can easily playback 4K video with effects and superimposed titles etc. without any rendering. That left me with the conclusion that multimedia support is not really "reworked" and thus the reason for this thread. Let's hope the bug report of Martin gets some fresh attention, or that Infinite Livecode will allow us to address the issue ourselves.

Best
Oliver

bn

Post by bn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:47 am

Hi Oliver,

Panos of Livecode mentioned a workaround for the alwaysbuffer bug that Elanor of Livecode discovered.

http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19444

When I tried to recreate the workaround I found that if you set the alwaysbuffer of a player to to true and overlay an object and then save / reopen the stack alwaysBuffer works for me even without the workaround. Once saved and reopened alwaysBuffer seems to stick and work.

Could you try this. I've tested in 8.1, 8.1.3 and LC9 DP6, works in all versions.

Maybe there is hope... :)

Kind regards
Bernd

okk

Post by okk » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi Bernd,
I could recreate your workaround, that is great news; I noticed though when I reopened the stack, and then set the alwaysbuffer of the player to false again, the video would not be visible at all, although it plays, since I can hear the sound. This is just an observation to better understand the bug. Also, the video playback with alwaysbuffer set to true is still not smooth, it is on the edge of being usable. I hope something can be done about this since this is an essential aspect of livecode for me to be able to place controls on top of a player.
But in any case, thanks for your discovery!

Best
Oliver

bn

Post by bn » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi Oliver,

you could add your observation to the bug report.

Kind regards

Bernd

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:19 pm

bn wrote:Hi Oliver,

you could add your observation to the bug report.

Kind regards

Bernd
He (or someone else) already did! :D

okk

Post by okk » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:15 am

Yes, I reported it. I also tested it in a standalone for MacOs. The behavior was same. The whole issue still puzzles me and I am looking forward to get it resolved. Best. Oliver

Return to “Multimedia”