Video player and windows

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bertBUSIbr8

Video player and windows

Post by bertBUSIbr8 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:49 pm

Hi,

I've got a simple project, couple of cards that link up, two cards have a video player on it.

The video get set dynamically as I need to be able to swap the actual video file.

Got it woking on OSX [10.11] but no video appears under Win 10 or 8.1. I can open the videos fine in Windows Media Player.

Using Livecode 8.1.1.

Can't figure out why it would not work. Is there a codec recommendation to use for Windows?

Thanks,

Bert

Klaus

Re: Video player and windows

Post by Klaus » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:01 am

Hi Bert,

what format does the video have?

Maybe this posting of mine (and the complete thread actually) will help a bit:
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p143148

Best

Klaus

bertBUSIbr8

Post by bertBUSIbr8 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:09 am

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed I saw the post before but didn't help me.

What seems to happen is that the player is very erratic when dynamically setting the video. Sometimes it works others it doesn't.

I've tried 1 player on a card, click button on main menu, put the video name in a global, arriving at the player card set the filename of the player [I've determined the app path on start up].

I've tried 2 different players on two cards, one for each video and setting the filenames on start up when opening the stack.

Checking the filenames for the players tells me that's all good, any variation I've used points to the correct video, sometimes it plays, sometimes one plays, sometimes none, it's driving me crazy!

I'm still converting some projects from Director and I do a lot of fairly simple projects with video and opening files. Run of the mill stuff and was looking forward to being able to use a nice build in player, set the filename and be done. In Director I had a made a flash player that played mp4's. Always worked.

The reason I want to use Livecode for this one is that it goes onto DVD as a ROM part. If I use director for that the Mac version will always throw a Shockwave error [won't go into that...] so using Livecode was supposed to be the solution.

Bert

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Hm, another idea, but then I am out of them, is to add a little dealy when switching filenames of player object.
That had helped in earlier versions of Livecode, do something like this:

Code: Select all

lock screen
set the filename of player "xyz" to EMPTY
wait 5
set the filename of player "xyz" to the_new_filename
unlock screen
No idea if this still applies, but is at least worth a try :D

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:41 pm

Can you post the parts of the script that manage playback? Do you issue any play commands after setting the filename?
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Multimedia”