Changes over last 3 years

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

xfratboy

Changes over last 3 years

Post by xfratboy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:00 am

I have been out of the community for a good while now and I'm curious what has changed in the last couple of years. Particularly, what has changed in the areas of graphics an audio engines? When I was coding back in 2011~2012, the problem I had with Livecode were some deficiencies in graphics performance and lack of audio controls. For example, I had a little product that needed to have a volume control and channel balance feature. I ended up having to implement an external called EnhancedQT (not sure if that's still around) to control the left and right balance of audio files. I was using Livecode version 4.x back in the day. Would it greatly improve my old projects if I upgraded to the latest or greatest version of Livecode, in terms of graphics and media controls?

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Changes over last 3 years

Post by Mark » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi,

The graphics engine was improved in version 5. There are now options for image controls, that affect the way LiveCode caches and renders these controls. Have a look at the layerMode property, for instance. Unfortunately, this didn't help me to get graphics intensive apps work on slow devices and to my experience it doesn't make much of a difference on fast devices. However, if you noticed that your app what just a little slow on a fast device, you may observe just sufficient improvement.

As far as I know, the EnhancedQT external has never been updated, except for shortly after its release.

Since LiveCode is open-source now, you can download it and see if it works better now.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Return to “Multimedia”