Creating a movie from a series of images

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

hairydalek

Creating a movie from a series of images

Post by hairydalek » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:46 pm

I’m experimenting with LiveCode and some GPS data from RunKeeper. The plan is to make a movie of a route using Google Maps.

So far, I've got the data from the GPS XML file, and a hint of the map in a window. The next step is to grab a screen shot of this window for each data point. What I want to do is put these screen shots together and dump out a movie file. I know I can do this in something like QuickTime Player, or iMovie (I’m on a Mac here), but it would be nice of LiveCode could build the movie - either as the screen grabs are done, or afterwards by grabbing saved images in a folder.

Is this possible? I’d prefer to have access to QuickTime’s saving options - codecs, compression settings etc., but even of this is not possible, being able to dump out an MP4 would be nice.

So far, everything I’ve found about LiveCode in the area of movies has been about playing them, not making them.

If I can get my test application running, I can add in more features - frame rate, dimensions, and so on.

My goal is to make a movie that can match footage from my GoPro - so there’s a map overlay. My attempts to do this by hand have been more laborious than I expected.

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Creating a movie from a series of images

Post by Simon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:28 pm

Looks like FFMPEG would be a good tool for this.

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -f image2 -i foo-%03d.jpeg -r 12 -s WxH foo.avi
commandline tool so you'd never have to see it.
http://ffmpeg.org/

Mind you I have never used it.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

hairydalek

Re: Creating a movie from a series of images

Post by hairydalek » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Thankfully, I have QuickTime Player 7 and an QuickTime Pro key, so I can use that to load a folder of images and export that as a movie. So that can do for now. I believe Motion (which I also have) can do this as well. So not the huge problem it sounds like.

Return to “Multimedia”