AV Foundation and deprecating Quicktime

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

pthirkell
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

AV Foundation and deprecating Quicktime

Post by pthirkell » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:11 am

I have used Quicktime for years, but in reviewing the WWDC 2013 Developer Videos they explain in Session 606 "moving to AV Kit and AV Foundation" that AV Foundation will eventually replace Quicktime -> "AV Foundation is the recommended framework for working with time-based audiovisual media. Learn how to transition your QuickTime or QTKit based media app to AV Foundation and understand the key concepts underlying the modern media architecture of OS X."

For now everything will still work as expected when using Quicktime resources, but I am wondering if this change in OS X has any particular implication for how we think about rich media within LC in the longer run. Core codecs including H.264 and AAC remains supported under AV Foundation, but many others are deprecated (although remain working for now).

Klaus

Re: AV Foundation and deprecating Quicktime

Post by Klaus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:49 am

A new platform independent multimedia engine is one of the stretch goals of Livecode.
I am sure this will be implemented at some time in this century 8-)

studawg66

Post by studawg66 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:16 pm

Digging up some old info here, but did the multimedia engine ever get traction in Livecode? With the latest news about Apple killing Quicktime for Windows, my standalone apps on PC will very quickly become useless, because QT is the only way I can get my H.264 multicast stream to play within the lIvecode standalone app (using the "player" functions).

Any advice is appreciated.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:52 pm

AV foundation replaced QT on Mac sometime in the v6.x series, IIRC. It's certainly available in the v7.x series and later.

As has been noted several times elsewhere in these forums, Apple's discontinuance of QT on Windows is public information and the LC core team is both well aware of it and working on a solution for it for delivery ASAP. This solution will not likely be in v8.0, given that version is now in RC stage, but likely soon after.

The short-term solution being worked on now is, in my understanding, of smaller scope than the multimedia Kickstarter goal. That Kickstarter goal is dependent on LC Builder to write wrappers for OS APIs, and LC Builder is premiering only now in v8.0. After v8.0 ships they'll be in a position to flesh out those parts of Builder needed for those wrappers.

But obviously there's a pressing need for Windows media playback ASAP, so it's anticipated that a solution for Windows only (Mac is already done and Linux will just have to wait for a bit), simpler in scope than the full multimedia rewrite outlined in the Kickstarter goals, may be achievable sooner, which is what they're exploring now.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

studawg66

Post by studawg66 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:28 pm

FourthWorld wrote: As has been noted several times elsewhere in these forums, Apple's discontinuance of QT on Windows is public information and the LC core team is both well aware of it and working on a solution for it for delivery ASAP. This solution will not likely be in v8.0, given that version is now in RC stage, but likely soon after.
Appreciate that insight. I'm hopeful for a quick solution. I've been successful in getting my multicast stream to open in Windows Media Player (opening a .SDP file that points to it), but my "player" objects in LiveCode cannot play that file when I set "dontuseQT" to true. Just blank objects. But the QT logo doesn't appear, so I know the dontuseqt variable did its job.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:38 am

Hi all,

in case you missed this good news from todays mailing list:
###########################################################
I intended to provide an update on this a little while back but forget,
apologies. The new player for Windows, which uses DirectShow within the
existing player object instead of QuickTIme will be in 8.1, with a DP
build either next week or in three weeks time depending on how various
things go.

Kind regards,