Access MIDI hardware?

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dmash

Access MIDI hardware?

Post by dmash » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:37 pm

I'm looking for a way to poll available drivers for MIDI interfaces, or just to send MIDI data over USB from within Revolution. I am building an application that needs to talk to a specialized hardware device via MIDI system exclusive (SYSEX) messages. I am at the point where I am successfully compiling the messages to send, and now need to talk to the device. Anyone had experience doing this? Over both Mac OSX and Windows? Thanks for any advice...

David Mash

Mark Smith

Post by Mark Smith » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:58 am

As far as I know, there's currently no way to communicate directly with midi devices in Revolution. An external would be needed.

However, it is possible to write your messages out to a standard midi file, and then have a player play them out (via quicktime). This may or may not be workable in your case.

Best,

Marl

dmash

Post by dmash » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:38 pm

Thanks for your post, Mark! Does anyone know of an available MIDI external for Revolution? I used to use HyperMIDI with Hypercard in the old days, but that stopped working when OMS became the leading way to communicate via MIDI. Given that Mac and Windows now have MIDI support at the core OS, you'd think there would be a way.
Thanks!
David

Mark Smith

Post by Mark Smith » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:35 pm

I don't know of any such external. I had a look at what might be involved, and I'm sure it's doable, but I've only just started learning C, and it's certainly beyond my ability...I think it'd be quite a lot of work.

Best,

Mark

Return to “Multimedia”