Multi-language mobile app: how to?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller

arnaubc

Multi-language mobile app: how to?

Post by arnaubc » Wed May 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm new to LiveCode and I'm trying to develop a tourist mobile guide. I want to make it a multi-language app because I need it to be in Catalan, Spanish and English. Could you help me about localizating the app? Because I don't know how to make and I have read some posts in this forums about this but I couldn't understand them.

Can you explain me how to make my app multi-language?

Thank you very much! :D

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Multi-language mobile app: how to?

Post by BvG » Thu May 16, 2013 9:11 am

You need to replace all texts with different language versions in an automated way. So there has to be a system that allows you to do that.

One way to do that is to simply create multiple cards, one for each language. Another way is to store the text in a file or in custom properties, and replace each text depending on what language the user has chosen. Sadly there's no "simple" way to do that, and you have to make sure you make a system that works easy and reliable enough for you.

Maybe you can elaborate a bit on which approach you would think is best for you? How much text is there, etc...
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

Klaus

Re: Multi-language mobile app: how to?

Post by Klaus » Thu May 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi arnaubc,

here is a little example stack that show a basic way to "localize" your stack via storing and accessing "localized" string in/from "Custom Property Sets":
http://www.major-k.de/staxx/cp-sets1.mc.zip

Best

Klaus

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”