Tutorial Books

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller

Tutorial Books

Postby InfoCentral » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:44 am

I noticed there was once a book written for RunRev called "Software at the Speed of Thought." It looks like they have updated the original to a 2nd edition but the print date is 2006. Does anyone know if this book would be of any help in learning RunRev 4.0?
"I am an Apple user and whatever they tell me I know it is for my own good and for the good of the collective..."
InfoCentral

Re: Tutorial Books

Postby bn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:49 pm

InfoCentral,
Dan Shafer's book "Software at the Speed of Thought" will not teach you Rev 4.0 because it was written before that. But if you want a thorough introduction to the concepts of Rev, a guided step by step tour into stacks of evolving complexity, like a book as a hardcopy you can read offline then I think it is a good source of information. I read it and it helped me a lot. The new features of Rev after the book was written you would have to pick up in the Documentation, Dictionary, lessons and the many example stacks around.

Also you might want to subscribe to the newsletter and look at the arvchive
http://www.runrev.com/developers/resources/newsletters/

Similar in scope to introduce to the concept of Rev is the online scripting conferences:
http://support.runrev.com/scriptingconferences/
I wish I had followed Dan Shafer's advice more closely (regarding menus and some other topics), it would have saved me some time.
regards
Bernd
bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Postby InfoCentral » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:42 am

Decided to order the book. I guess this place actually prints the books as they are ordered so it should take between 2-3 weeks.
"I am an Apple user and whatever they tell me I know it is for my own good and for the good of the collective..."
InfoCentral

Postby Ralph Forehand » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:14 pm

The book you will probably receive is "Revolution User Guide Version 3", published in 2008. It is not by Dan Shafer but is an updated User Guide. It is a different and better organized IMO approach (by the Revolution staff?) to introducing Revolution and covers areas Dand Shafer's earlier book didn't.

The online scripting conferences previously mentioned; http://support.runrev.com/scriptingconferences/ are also excellent.

Another excellent tutorial reference is BYU's course at; http://revolution.byu.edu/indexgeneric.php

Fortunately, there is a huge wealth of free Revelotion reference material on-line.
"Do the right thing and everything else will take care of it's self."
Ralph Forehand
Livecode Opensource Backer

Postby InfoCentral » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:35 pm

The problem I have always had with obtaining training materials online is that it is a patchwork process with no real aim of getting a newbie to proficient. Each one writes at the level he writes at and assumes that the person at least knows this much and works from there. Books or DVD have taken that knowledge and laid it out so that one lesson builds on another and takes your from knowing nothing to being somewhat proficient at it. From this point on I feel you can go at the online stuff with good confidence you will have the knowledge the writer of the tutorial assumes you have. Well, that's been my experience.
InfoCentral

Postby dhobbs » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:33 pm

So, does that mean that the Revolution Users Guide is for a fee?

I, too, am searching for tutorial materials. I have looked at all the sites and resources mentioned thus far. They are great, however, it is still a lot of work to find the things I need. Most programming languages have a textbook that describes the syntax and fundamental properties of the language in question. I can't find that sort of documentation regarding RevTalk. Also, when I examine example stacks, it is hard to find the scripts and follow the flow of the code. I never know where the commands are located and spend a lot of time looking at stack/card/object scripts to see where the program code is going. I like the concept of localizing the code with the object, but sometimes I wish that I could print out a document that listed ALL code in a stack so I could examine the program flow and annotate to better understand what I'm doing.

--Doug
dhobbs

Postby BvG » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:46 am

the user guide is included with each installation, it's a pdf and accessible via the "ressource center". To get every script, you can use a repeat loop, similar to this:
Code: Select all
on mouseUp
  repeat for the number of controls times
    add one to ObjectNr
    if the number of words in the script of control ObjectNr > 0 then
      put "script of" && the name of control ObjectNr & ":" & return after theResult
      put the script of control ObjectNr & return & return after theResult
    end if
  end repeat
  put "and now the card:" & return after theResult
  put the script of this card & return & return after theResult
  put "and now the stack:" & return after theResult
  put the script of this stack after theResult
  put theResult
end mouseUp
Use an alternative Dictionary viewer:
http://bjoernke.com/bvgdocu/

Chat with other RunRev developers:
http://bjoernke.com/chatrev/
BvG

Postby InfoCentral » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:02 am

dhobbs wrote:I, too, am searching for tutorial materials.

I decided to order the book Software at the Speed of Thought by Dan Shafer after looking over all the options and finding this to be the best one available to date. The first publishing was done in Oct. 2003 and this is the second edition with a publish date of Jan 2006. Amazon lists RunRev at the publisher of the first edition and the second edition is coming from Shafer Media with Cafe Press as the actual publisher. The link to the second edition is hot linked in the first post on this thread. As far as I have been able to research this is currently the only tutorial media available in either book or dvd/cd format. Everything else is through online pick and peck.
InfoCentral

Postby DougN » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:30 pm

I agree that the lack of structured learning curriculum is a problem for Rev. I was looking at learning some Flash / ActionScript this last week, and there are all manner of courses dedicated to this -- online videos for free on Adobe's site, good stuff on lynda.com -- all structured from a beginner, through intermediate, to advanced, covering the typical topics that you'd expect.

Having said that, my foray into the Actionscript jungle made me really appreciate Rev's direct, simple approach to programming. Scripting a button now requires something like six lines of complicated, unintuitive code in AS3, to do something as simple as "on mouseup / play sound "hello" / end mouseup." It would be nice if more tutorial materials were available to help people along on the Rev side, and develop more Rev programmers.
DougN

Postby InfoCentral » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:23 pm

DougN wrote:I agree that the lack of structured learning curriculum is a problem for Rev.

This has always been a problem for small companies and is usually the ultimate cause of their demise. If you build a very powerful piece of software but nobody knows how to use it then what do you have in the end? I used to tell companies this and their response was that they weren't in the education business they were in the software business and they feel they have a pretty good product. Then they don't understand why nobody is buying their product.

Most large companies get this concept all too well. Microsoft, Adobe, Autodesk, etc., all produce and publish their own training material. They know just how important that aspect is for maintaining and continued growth. Luxology, as small start-up 3D company, knew this all too well too. The developers came from a larger company NewTek and they knew if they were to succeed they would have to tackle this area. The first priority was to develop a truly great product! Knowing this wasn't going to be enough they hired a person to do the demos at the Trade Shows and develop training videos for the company. I mean GREAT training videos for Luxology. They sell these training videos for a reasonably low cost. They also hosted a forum so users could help each other out like here, and a video training section (Luxology.TV) where users and Luxology themselves post training videos for FREE. The library of FREE video training has grown huge over the years. Now that they are well know in the industry world wide, and have experienced tremendous growth, there are third parties who also produce training videos for sale and even a couple of books have been published.

That is how you go from a small start-up company to a major player in the industry. You keep your eye on the ball; you advance your customer and they will advance you...
InfoCentral

Postby DougN » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:03 am

It sounds like they're looking at doing a better job here. The customer survey they're asking folks to fill out now asks a lot of questions about a dedicated Revolution training program, to include both recorded training videos and live webinars. If they get the curriculum progression right, they'll have something.

I had another look at the BYU courses referenced earlier in the thread and I think they do a pretty good job for someone with some background and motivation -- they've got a nice sequence laid out, anyway. You miss the lectures, of course, so you kind of have to figure that part out on your own....
DougN

Postby InfoCentral » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:41 pm

DougN wrote:I had another look at the BYU courses referenced earlier in the thread and I think they do a pretty good job for someone with some background and motivation -- they've got a nice sequence laid out, anyway. You miss the lectures, of course, so you kind of have to figure that part out on your own....

I'm going to have to take a look at that course. I just received the Rev Book yesterday. Its the Second Edition and is an update to the original version. The book is pretty well published and solid. I haven't been able to read any of it yet but it does look promising and it arrived a lot faster than I was told. Nice...
InfoCentral

Postby gpanos » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:42 pm

Any feedback about Dan Shafer's book? Is it worth to buy it or not?
Many thanks in advance.

A beginner in RunRev.
gpanos

Postby planix » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Yes, it's well worth getting. Event though it's not up to date it covers a lot of the essentials. I still look at it when I am trying to remind myself of how to approach a new project.

cheers.
PLANIX
"Knowing anything is better than knowing nothing. But knowing that nothing ain't anything, why that's just plain nirvana."
planix

Postby jcollett » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:46 pm

Dan Shafer's book ("Speed of thought",etc.) just received. I expect I will get plenty of help from it, but ... no index! That is unforgivable! And I suppose I will get used to being addressed like a 12-year-old.
JC
jcollett

Next

Return to Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners